Q. How likely is it that IC can cause scarring of the bladder?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Sep 09, 2018

I have been told that I have IC as a constant urge to urinate and sore bladder. It is believed that an embedded UTI has caused this condition. (I am male). Can you please answer these specifically:

1. Can IC get worse over time?
  2. How likely is it that IC cause scarring of the bladder?
  3. Will bladder capacity get less and less over time?

#

1. Interstitial cystitis course is unpredictable and may get worse and affect sexual functions if untreated.
  2. One of the strongest theories is a leak in the epithelium causing some irritating substances to cause inflammation which may later lead to scarring over time.
  3. Scarring over time causes a decrease in the bladder capacity. UTI is one of the theories.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Will Botox treat a weak detrusor muscle and an overactive bladder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been told that I have a weak detrusor muscle and an overactive bladder. I feel constant irritation in the bladder and sometimes, my lower abdomen area swells up. I had negative urine cultures, and I have been told Botox may help me, but I can only have 50 % or so strength due to...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Botox is used for overactive bladder, once oral anticholinergic medication fails to give benefit. Botox gives benefit for 6 to 9 months, so it has to be repeated after a year. There is a risk of detrusor acontractility after injection, for which you might have to use C...  Read Full

What might help my increased urge to urinate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old male with no medical conditions. I am on Propecia 1 mg for hair loss, and I have been on it for the past three years. Six months ago, I started getting an urge to urinate more frequently. I had a feeling of my bladder getting full. The urge was not that strong...  Read Full >>

Dr. Devendra
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These urinary symptoms in young males are many times due to the sphincter dyssynergia (disturbance of the normal synergistic coordination between bladder contraction and external urethral sphincter muscles relaxation during voiding). Valium (Diazepam) also relaxes the ...  Read Full

Is Cystopen the right medicine for frequent urination problem?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 20 years old. She has a problem of frequent urination. She has to urinate numerous times. She has undergone cystoscopy and urodynamics test. She has a small and weak bladder with 350 mL capacity. But, the reason behind frequent urination has to be diagnosed still. The doctor ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I went through your sister's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your sister's uroflow study shows an average flow rate of 13.5 mL per second (normal more than 15 mL per second) and a desire to micturate and bladder capaci...  Read Full