Q. How likely is it that IC can cause scarring of the bladder?

Answered by Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Interstitial Cystitis or Urge To Urinate? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have been told that I have IC as a constant urge to urinate and sore bladder. It is believed that an embedded UTI has caused this condition. (I am male). Can you please answer these specifically:

1. Can IC get worse over time?
  2. How likely is it that IC cause scarring of the bladder?
  3. Will bladder capacity get less and less over time?