Q. I have a painless red scratch above my butt. Could this be intertrigo?

Dr. Shama Naaz

I have what looks like a red scratch or stress point starting above my butt and going down. It might be intergluteal cleft intertrigo, from the research I have done. It almost looks like a pale pink scar. It does not itch, hurt, ooze, peel, develop scabs or scales, or bother me other than esthetically. It also does not seem to be getting better. I have had it for at least seven months and have been actively trying to treat it for two to three months, and nothing seems to help. I kept it dry and clean, using talc, and used Lotrimin AF and Desitin maximum strength alternately. But neither of them seemed to help noticeably after two weeks of use. Can you tell me what else this might be? Or if it likely is intertrigo? And what can I do about it? Should it be taking this long to heal?

I am a 33-year-old female. The only medication I am taking is Advil and Nexplanon birth control. I do not have other skin conditions.

#

Redness over the gluteal cleft is caused by friction, sweating and may be due to intertrigo. Intertrigo is caused by bacterial or fungal infection leading to maceration of the skin.

Frictional dermatitis.

Direct microscopic examination of infected superficial epidermal tissue in a solution of potassium hydroxide or by culture.

Intertrigo. Sweat dermatitis.

Intertrigo.

Apply calamine lotion over the red area twice daily.

Do not wear tight-fitting undergarments or jeans. Maintain hygiene. Keep the area dry

After 7 days with the report.

|