Q. My sperm count is zero. Can I go ahead with ICSI?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had an issue of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Due to that my sperm count was zero. As per my doctor's advice, I am taking HCG 5000 and HMG 150 weekly twice over the last 12 months. I took semen analysis test at two centers and it shows sperm production has started. I shared the result to my doctor and he suggested me that I can father a child either using IUI or ICSI. Please check the reports and let me know about your opinion. Please help me in this. Am I in the right path?

#

• The semen sample given by you has been taken eight days back and had pus cells. But, the one taken three days back was not. If we can another semen culture to know whether there is any infection, then it would be better.
  • As the count being too low and mostly all sperms are immotile, you need to take some antioxidants like vitamin E 400 mg twice daily, CoQ 100 mg (Coenzyme Q10) vitamin tablet daily to maintain healthy sperm.
  • As far as pregnancy is concerned, your doctor is right. You can go ahead with ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection).
  • Other option is to take injections for another six months and see whether the count increases sufficiently to allow intra uterine insemination IUI or natural conception.
  • Considering cost and pain of injections as well as the time factor, I would suggest you to go for ICSI.
  • But, do not stop injections. You need to continue them till pregnancy happens. Sometimes, the count may increase to a level to allow IUI by the time preparation is done for ICSI and it can help you in future.

For further clarifications consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

Thanks for your suggestion. I would prefer to go for ICSI as I need to spend a lot for injections every month. Is it possible to perform ICIS using immotile sperms? I read it somewhere that even a single sperm is enough for ICSI. Please guide.

#

• Yes, it is possible to do ICSI with immotile sperm.
  • Other option is that in the last moment sperms can be taken out of testis if sufficient good quality is not available in semen sample and it may also work.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|