Intracranial Pressure

Is bilateral papilledema a serious one?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was recently seen by an ophthalmologist for loss of peripheral vision in one eye and a feeling of something wrong with her eye, as though it were closed. Ophthalmologist diagnosed it as bilateral papilledema and referred to neurologist for immediate follow up. The ophthalmologist ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not get panic. Papilledema is swelling of optic nerve head due to increase in intracranial pressure. This pressure may be high due to some tumor or blockage of sinuses or idiopathic (without cause). The investigations required are: Perimetry should be done by o...  Read Full »

What makes me dizzy when I shout or blow hard?

Query: Hello doctor,When I shout or blow hard with my mouth, I get headaches or dizziness. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. The headache you feel is due to increased intracranial pressure when shouting or blowing. Avoid such habits. If it happens without shouting or blowing, I suggest you consult a neurologist to rule out neurological problems. All the best. F...  Read Full »

I have a constant headache from 10 days. Could it be due to a brain tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and obese at 113 kg. The problem that I am describing below I have been experiencing for the past 10 days or so. I have a more or less constant headache. It is typically on the right part of the forehead, around the hairline and occurr...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A headache can be due to many causes. Few common causes are: Migraine. Hypoglycemia. Hypertension. Raised intracranial tension. Sinusitis. Stress. Dehydration. In your case, it seems to be either due to the aggravation of sinusitis due to a recent weath...  Read Full »

For extramedullary lesion, does the patient need surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is diagnosed to have partial agenesis of corpus callosum and colpocephaly. Also, there is late onset of seizures with nodular intradural extramedullary lesion seen at L1 body and L1-L2 disc level with significant conus and caudal compression or displacement to the left side. ...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think that the condition can be treated with medical management as the nodular growth measuring around 25 mm (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and causing pressure symptoms over the adjacent spinal cord. It is possible that if not surgically correc...  Read Full »

My baby's head size is big. Is it due to any abnormality?

Query: Hi doctor, I was blessed with twin baby girls before three months. It was a premature C-section at 36th week. At birth, one of my baby head size was 33 cm. After some days, it was 36.5 cm. So, the doctor was surprised and sent for an ultrasound scan. I have attached the first report of the scan. It ...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. The head circumference of 40.5 cm at 8 weeks of age is definitely abnormal. In addition to that, the scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly ...  Read Full »

Can venous aneurysm cause headache?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a 8 x 12 mm sac type aneurysm on the vein of Galen. I am 50 years old and otherwise in a good health. I have had bad headaches and nausea for about seven months. It led MRV and that found the aneurysm. I know the risks of an arterial aneurysm rupturing, but do venous ones rupture? ...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a very rare anomaly. Dilatation of entire vein is more common. Theoretically, there is a risk of rupture. But, in practice the most common complications are hydrocephalus and cardiac problems. You have not indicated whether the scan revealed hydrocephalus or not. ...  Read Full »

What could be the cause of headache after nine months of head injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who had a stroke from a blow injury (heavy fall and hit the back of her head) to the lower back of her head before nine months, is still having headaches on physical exertion, especially at work. She is a nurse and occasionally has to help move or lift patients, which always ...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understood your concern. It means that whenever her abdominal pressure rises, she gets a headache. This is because the pressure inside the skull called intracranial pressure raises whenever her abdominal pressure rises. The intracr...  Read Full »