Q. Please interpret my MRI findings for my morning headache and lightheadedness.

Dr. Aida Quka

I have been experiencing light-headed feelings, and daily headache as soon as I wake up. I will be uploading an MRI summary, and want to know what the results mean if this is treatable, or is it terminal?

I am currently on Temazepam 30 mg daily for sleep, Diazepam 5 mg as needed for Meniere,s disease, and Soma as needed for low back issues.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I read carefully your question and would explain that there is a non-specific finding in your brain MRI (attachment removed to protect patient findings), which could be a small inflammation region, a born defect or a tumor. This lesion is too small for biopsy. So the next step to follow would be a lumbar puncture in order to examine the cerebrospinal fluid and exclude any possible infection or inflammation of the brain.

If the cerebrospinal fluid is normal follow up with a new MRI after three months would be necessary in order to investigate for possible progression (increase in dimensions or a new lesion).

| 

Are my morning headaches a sign of a possible tumor? The research I have done seems to indicate that the symptom is a bad sign. Be honest. Tell me the worse case.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

You are right about the relationship between morning headaches and brain tumors. Anyway, headaches are a sign of tumors in dimensions much bigger than this lesion, as they are usually caused by increased intracranial pressure. Besides, the headaches are progressive in case of brain tumors with nausea or vomiting in the morning and do not improve from painkillers.

In my opinion, your headache could be related to a wrong position during sleep or chronic degeneration of the cervical vertebral column. This lesion is too small to cause morning headaches and other symptoms which are associated with increased intracranial pressure. I hope this helps.

| 

I have headache after nine months of head injury. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who had a stroke from a blow injury (heavy fall and hit the back of her head) to the lower back of her head before nine months, is still having headaches on physical exertion, especially at work. She is a nurse and occasionally has to help move or lift patients, which always ...  Read Full »

I have lightheadedness and nausea. Will MRA test help?

Query: Hello doctor, Extreme lightheadedness (not vertigo), sometimes a feeling of nausea, and feeling like I am going to black out any second. These symptoms hit me in very intense 20 to 30 seconds waves and then go away. I get these episodes about 7 to 10 times a day and they completely stop me in my tr...  Read Full »

I have lightheadedness. Is it due to GAD medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chest heaviness and lightheadedness along with muscular spasms.  Read Full »