Q. What could be the cause of headache after nine months of head injury?

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2020

My mother, who had a stroke from a blow injury (heavy fall and hit the back of her head) to the lower back of her head before nine months, is still having headaches on physical exertion, especially at work. She is a nurse and occasionally has to help move or lift patients, which always causes her headaches. After resting a few days, she feels fine again. She had done all the required head scans such as CT and MRI, which are normal. Her neurologist does not seem too concerned. She has booked another appointment with her neurologist in a month. She is currently on Aspirin. What could be the cause of her headache after nine months? She also needs a hysterectomy done for her uterine fibroid, which is enlarging. Is it safe for her to go under general anesthesia, considering she still has these headaches?

#

I have read your question with care and understood your concern.

• It means that whenever her abdominal pressure rises, she gets a headache. This is because the pressure inside the skull called intracranial pressure raises whenever her abdominal pressure rises.
  • The intracranial pressure increases with increased pressure inside the abdomen for everyone.
  • When you lift weight, the intra-abdominal pressure rises and this leads to increase in pressure inside the skull. But, our pressure inside the skull is usually in the normal range. So, even when we lift the weight, it increases slightly and we do not feel any headache.
  • But, in case of your mother, the pressure inside the skull is high even when she is resting. So, when she lifts weight, it further increases and crosses the threshold and results in headache 
  • If the pressure inside the skull is very high, then the person will have headache even at rest.
  • She has to consult a neurosurgeon and undergo a fundus examination and clinical examination.
  • If needed cerebrospinal fluid pressure studies also need to be done and then the increased pressure will have to be managed.

For further information consult a neurologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|