Q. What could be the cause of headache after nine months of head injury?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Jun 07, 2016

My mother, who had a stroke from a blow injury (heavy fall and hit the back of her head) to the lower back of her head before nine months, is still having headaches on physical exertion, especially at work. She is a nurse and occasionally has to help move or lift patients, which always causes her headaches. After resting a few days, she feels fine again. She had done all the required head scans such as CT and MRI, which are normal. Her neurologist does not seem too concerned. She has booked another appointment with her neurologist in a month. She is currently on Aspirin. What could be the cause of her headache after nine months? She also needs a hysterectomy done for her uterine fibroid, which is enlarging. Is it safe for her to go under general anesthesia, considering she still has these headaches?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have read your question with care and understood your concern.

• It means that whenever her abdominal pressure rises, she gets a headache. This is because the pressure inside the skull called intracranial pressure raises whenever her abdominal pressure rises.
  • The intracranial pressure increases with increased pressure inside the abdomen for everyone.
  • When you lift weight, the intra-abdominal pressure rises and this leads to increase in pressure inside the skull. But, our pressure inside the skull is usually in the normal range. So, even when we lift the weight, it increases slightly and we do not feel any headache.
  • But, in case of your mother, the pressure inside the skull is high even when she is resting. So, when she lifts weight, it further increases and crosses the threshold and results in headache 
  • If the pressure inside the skull is very high, then the person will have headache even at rest.
  • She has to consult a neurosurgeon and undergo a fundus examination and clinical examination.
  • If needed cerebrospinal fluid pressure studies also need to be done and then the increased pressure will have to be managed.

For further information consult a neurologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

What does a double red line in pregnancy test kit indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years now and my wife is 31. Today in pregnancy test kit, result came as double red line (a red line for C and a red line for T). Is this positive for pregnancy? Actually yesterday is her date for periods, but this has also not occurred yet. What precautions should we take? We w...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The (UPT Kit) urine pregnancy test kit with two red lines indicates a positive result and that she is at present pregnant. The confirmation for an intrauterine pregnancy can be further done with a transvaginal ultrasound scan. She should be placed on tablet Folic Acid ...  Read Full

Can venous aneurysm cause headache?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a 8 x 12 mm sac type aneurysm on the vein of Galen. I am 50 years old and otherwise in a good health. I have had bad headaches and nausea for about seven months. It led MRV and that found the aneurysm. I know the risks of an arterial aneurysm rupturing, but do venous ones rupture? ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a very rare anomaly. Dilatation of entire vein is more common. Theoretically, there is a risk of rupture. But, in practice the most common complications are hydrocephalus and cardiac problems. You have not indicated whether the scan revealed hydrocephalus or not. ...  Read Full