HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyintrauterine contraceptive device.After IUD insertion, I am getting spotting everyday and getting cramps post intercourse. Why?

Is painful heavy menstrual flow after IUD placement serious?

Is painful heavy menstrual flow after IUD placement serious?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Nithila. A

Published At August 24, 2019
Reviewed AtMay 13, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had the Skyla IUD inserted two months ago to lighten my very heavy menstrual flows hopefully. My first period after insertion was very heavy and painful, more than usual, but I heard that was likely to happen. It lasted for two and a half weeks. Since then, I have had spotting daily, some days heavier than others, but very frequent. I also have been experiencing mild cramping and bleeding after intercourse. Is this a dangerous condition?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Irregular bleeding is the most common side effects of hormonal IUD (intrauterine device). You should expect irregular bleeding or vaginal spotting for six to eight weeks after the insertion. I recommend you to reach inside your vagina and feel the string. If you can feel the string the chance that IUD is in the right place is very high so you should not worry too much. Taking Motrin (Ibuprofen) and applying heating pads should help with cramping. The string should be checked by yourself now and then to make sure it is still in the right place.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn
Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy