Q. Which contraceptive method is the best for me?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 28 year old female and I have a 2 year old baby. I do not want another baby for few years. I have taken Femilon tablet for a month. It was prescribed by my gynecologist. I wanted to know if copper-T would be a better option for me or may I continue the birth control pills? I am scared that birth control pills would cause me to gain weight. I heard that hormonal IUD also causes weight gain. Does IUD also cause weight gain? Please suggest.

#

How are you doing?

• Both Copper-T and the regular usage of pills have equal or nearly 100 % contraceptive protection.
  • Copper-T is like a foreign body in the uterus. It has a long life, depending on the type. This is a one-time usage, no need to repeatedly replace. So, it is cheaper. There is no interference with sex. It does not affect the body weight, periods or hormonal changes. It is not associated with any vaginal infection or bleeding unless there is already an infection.
  • Birth control pills have to be taken every day at nearly the same time without fail. If you forget to take the pills or if vomited, you will have to take it as soon as you remember or after vomiting is controlled. This is comparatively costlier. But, here too, there is no interference with sex. They contain estrogen and progesterone hormones which are being produced by every woman's body every month. So, there is no question of side effects or weight gain. It is a false belief. Studies say that using it for more than five years continuously reduces the risk of cancer of the ovaries and uterus. They regularise the cycles if already irregular.
  • So, both are equally good. You have to decide which you like.

Hope I have clarified your query. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|