Q. How does the iris change color?

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have read articles regarding blunt trauma to the eyeball, it state that trauma changes the color of the iris. My query is, why does the color change happen? Does the whole of the iris change color from blue to brown? Is there anything to do with pigmentation?

Please help.

#

Yes, trauma can change the color of the iris. This is because of iris atrophy. The iris involved in trauma turns white or grey due to a lack of blood supply to the affected area. This change does not include the whole iris.

I hope this clears your doubt.

Thanks for replying.

What causes the whole of the iris to darken or a lighter color?

#

There are multiple causes for the color change.

It can be due to fuchs uveitis, pigment dispersion syndrome, iridocorneal endothelial syndrome (ICE), or glaucoma medications like Prostaglandins.

I would suggest getting a detailed eye examination (detailed slit lamp examination and angle evaluation) to rule out any pathological causes.

|