Q. I am on a diet and not getting regular monthly period. What to do?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

Over the last several months, I have been dieting to lose weight that I gained last summer. Though my weight has fluctuated over the months, I have lost approximately 10 lbs. I am also an athlete, and thus I exercise daily. After the first two months of dieting, I noticed that I did not have my monthly period. It is not unusual for me, as my menstrual cycle has never been regular since I started at age 15. I am worried primarily about the health of my bones, but I do not want to stop dieting or gain weight. Also, I cannot decrease my exercise since it is a part of my schooling. I am also worried about going on birth control because of the numerous side effects associated with it such as breast enlargement and weight gain. Moreover, I feel as though this would only further interrupt my menstrual cycle. I feel that there must be some other treatment I can undergo to either stimulate or approximate my menstrual cycle more naturally. Thank you for your advice.

#

• You are very underweight, and that is why your menstrual cycles are not coming usually.
  • My advice would be to stop dieting. Follow a regular healthy diet and exercise in moderation.
  • You are nearly anorexic, and that will wreak havoc with your bones and hormones. Just having periods does not mean your bones are healthy. Diet has a lot to do with it.
  • I suggest you contact a good dietician who can prescribe a proper healthy diet for you. Improper diet can have long-term side effects on your overall health.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|