Q. Can antiepileptic drugs cause behavioral changes in my child?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Nov 02, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2019

My son is 3 years 9 months now. He has been diagnosed with benign childhood epilepsy. He is taking Clobazam 15 mg at night and Topiramate 100 mg per day for last four months. His seizures are under control and he attends LKG. The issue is that he is not able to concentrate in his studies and he does not like to sit with patience for a while. I am worried whether he is disturbed by his medicines? Please clarify the dosage too as his present weight is 15 kg.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Hi

I have read your question in detail.

The initial dose of Topiramate is 1 mg/kg/day which is gradually increased to 5-10 mg/kg/day. Your child is getting 100 mg Topiramate which is around 6 mg/kg/day. So, the dosage of Topiramate is correct.

There are some side effects like anorexia, weight loss, blurring of vision and glaucoma. But these occur at late stages and when higher doses are given. So, in my opinion, Topiramate is not causing any problems in your child.

Secondly, the initial dose of Clobazam is 0.1mg/kg/day which is gradually increased to 0.3 to 1 mg/kg/day. In your case, your child is getting 15 mg daily which comes to 1 mg/kg /day.

Side effects of Clobazam are constipation, behavior changes, aggression, sleep disturbance, weight gain. So, I think that aggression and behavior changes in your child could be due to Clobazam.

You should meet your doctor and ask him to lower the dose of Clobazam or substitute it with another antiepileptic drug.

Ibuprofen

Article Overview: Ibuprofen belongs to NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) group which act on the substances in the body that are responsible for inflammation and its signs and symptoms. Thus, it prevents swelling, pain, and fever. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M
General Medicine Physician

Ibuprofen When the pain gets unbearable, it is the medicine that we turn to. One of the most commonly available or prescribed painkillers is Ibuprofen which is available in the brand names of Brufen, Nurofen, Motrin, and Advil. Introduction of Ibuprofen Ibuprofen belongs to NSAIDs (non-steroidal ...  Read Article

Can cocaine affect sperm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I had one wild night where we did several lines of cocaine. I have not done it before. And now my wife is pregnant. I have read studies that cocaine use in men prior to impregnation can cause birth defects, etc. Has this one night seven to eight weeks prior cau...  Read Full »

Why do I overload my brain with so many thoughts?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with essential tremors, and I am always distracted. I suffer from tics and obsessive, repetitive movement like blinking, clenching my fist, breathing tics, obsessed with personalities and how consciousness works. I always focused on my bodily sensations, like how my legs f...  Read Full »