iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInfectious Diseasesirritable bowel syndromeI had unprotected sex, and I suffered from gastric problems after that. Are these related?

Do gastric infections spread through sexual partners?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 26, 2022
Reviewed AtApril 26, 2022

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had unprotected intercourse about five years ago. After the intercourse, I became sick the next day and was hospitalized for a few days. I started noticing some gastric problems since then that will not go away. I have been diagnosed with H.pylori infection, and I received the treatment. Still, the gastric problems continued, and I noticed that anyone I get sexually intimate with complaints of the same symptoms. I have been tested for all sexually transmitted infections/diseases, and all came back negative, including HIV. My gastric problem has worsened to the extent that my doctor does not know what to check for anymore. I kept on losing and gaining weight without trying. My skin kept developing small tiny rashes that will not go away, and my iron and vitamin levels kept going down most of the time, causing me to take multivitamins most of the time due to malabsorption.

I finally went to a laboratory where they performed a stool culture and some other tests. One of the stool cultures indicated that my value is (2+ (few) Bacillus species). I have previously taken Omeprazole, Iron supplement, Vitamin D, and Vitamin C tablets. Currently, I am taking probiotics and multivitamins. I am wondering what this could be and what needs to be done. Can you please guide me?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern.

I have gone through your detailed history. Bacillus is a group of bacteria that are gram-positive. They can be found in stool, vomiting, and food samples. So basically, they have a fecal-oral transmission route and cause food poisoning. So symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal pain, and vomiting. Please let me know if you have done any ultrasound or CT (computed tomography) scans of the abdomen? And have you tried any antibiotics? So that I can guide you better. Thank you.

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the timely response.

The last time I had an ultrasound abdomen or CT scan of the abdomen done was last year when my symptoms were bad, but they told me that they could not find anything. And no, I have not tried any antibiotics lately. I would appreciate it if you could recommend the best antibiotics to help tackle my gastric problems. The last I received an antibiotic was a few years ago when my previous doctor placed me on a very low dosage of broad-spectrum antibiotics for a few weeks. And that cleared my symptoms then. But then the whole symptoms came back after I had sexual intercourse with my previous partner. I wondered if I have dysbiosis since most of my symptoms are related.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, this dysbiosis is possible, but it should be fine now since you are taking probiotics. I feel you might be having IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), which is associated with stress and anxiety.

So please let me know if you have a stressful life? Do you get adequate and sound sleep at night? Have you ever tried the treatment for IBS? I do not want you to try antibiotics because if IBS is there, antibiotics will not work. So please reply to me with answers to the above-asked questions so that I can guide you better. I wish you good health. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Infectious Diseases

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy