Q. I suffer from extreme diarrhea for about 5 years. Please give me some steps to resolve it.

Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2021

I suffer from extreme diarrhea every day, two to three times (no blood appears). I have been into this for five to six years, but it is becoming worst year after year. I am a 26-year-old male of weight only 46 kg. I lost around 10 kgs in the last one and a half years. Colonoscopy or gastroscopy is normal, but biopsy says, "Moderate to severe focal active colitis."

Lately, I am having a lot of pain, especially while having diarrhea. It feels like I will pass out while having extreme burn-pain in my lower abdominal part, strong headache, the face becomes red, feeling of throwing up, and I feel hot for a few minutes until diarrhea passes. After that, I start gradually feeling better. The only thing I can do afterward is sleep because of feeling extremely tired.

I have seen so many doctors, and no one gave me a good solution so far. Tried Asacol, Pentasa, Probiotics, Debutir, Normacol. Other medical issues are splenectomy done before 26 years (because of ITP), Cholecystectomy done before eight years (because of gallstones). Kindly help me.

#

I have read your query, and from that, I understood that maybe you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. It cannot be diagnosed by imaging or blood tests, but ruling out other diseases helps you get diagnosed. And about the treatment symptomatic treatment along with lifestyle changes helps a lot to get rid of some symptoms like using FODMAP (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols, which are short-chain carbohydrates) diet and even regular exercises and psychotherapy helps you. If you have any follow-up questions, you can ask me again.

|