Q. I suffer from extreme diarrhea for about 5 years. Please give me some steps to resolve it.

Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 14, 2020

I suffer from extreme diarrhea everyday, 2-3 times, ( no blood appears). I have been into this since 5-6 years but it is becoming worst year after year. I am a male , 26 years old, and weight only 46 kg. I lost around 10 KGs since the last 1.5 years. Colonoscopy/Gasrtoscopy is normal, but Biopsy says "Moderate to Severe focal active colitis".

Lately I am having a lot of pain specially while having diarrhea. It feels like I will pass out, while having extreme burn-pain in my lower abdominal part, strong headache, face becomes red, feeling of throwing up, and I feel hot for a few minutes until diarrhea passes and I start gradually feeling better. The only thing I can do afterwards is sleep because of feeling extremely tired.

I have seen so many doctors and no one really gave me a good solution so far. Tried Asacol, Pentasa, Probiotics, Debutir, Normacol....I am hoping I will find a solution. thank you! Other Medical Issues: Splenectomy done before 26 years, (Cause: ITP), Cholecystectomy done before 8 years (Cause: Gallstones)

#

Thank you for the query.

I have read you query and from that I understood that may be you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome and it cannot be diagnosed by imaging or blood tests but ruling out other diseases helps you to get diagnosed. And about the treatment symptomatic treatment along with lifestyle changes helps a lot to get rid of some symptoms like using FODMAP diet and even regular exercises and psychotherapy helps you.Thank you.If you have any followup questions you can ask me again. Regards.

|