Q. MIBI scan shows 10% ischemia. Do I have a chance to get heart attack?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am a 42-year-old female. Last year my GP recommended me for the MIBI (myocardial perfusion imaging) cardiac scan, and it can out that I have mild anterior wall ischemia (10% total ischaemic burden). He then recommended me for the angio scan, and the result came normal. He advised me to ignore the MIBI test result as the angio scan came back normal. I would like to have a second opinion as I cannot understand why he ignores the MIBI scan. Can you please explain which test I have to trust as I am worried sick and always afraid that I will have a heart attack. I am currently on Clopidogrel.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Myocardial perfusion imaging showed mild ischemia involving 10% of the myocardium, not a large area. Coronary angiography came out normal means all major vessels are normal.

There are two possibilities for ischemia.

1. Vessel obstruction is at the microvascular level.

2. Ischemia is there but is irreversible.

I want to see your MPI report to know whether ischemia is reversible or not and which area it involves, and what is the cardiac function. Also, send me echocardiography or other tests done, including angiography. After seeing all reports and after your history, I can guide you better. Tell me what symptoms do you have? Do you have hypertension, diabetes mellitus, kidney, thyroid disease, etc.?

| 

I am attaching the reports. I have hope this can help you see the picture better. I suffer from anxiety and protein deficiency.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Your Tc99 myocardial perfusion imaging is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and there was no chest pain, and no significant ECG (electrocardiography) changes. CTCA (coronary angiography) is also normal with a zero CAC (coronary artery calcium) score. This is all normal.

Since you have protein s deficiency, you will be at increased risk since your blood tends to clot easily. So you have to live an active life, avoid sedentary behavior, avoid fatty foods, junk foods, adopt Mediterranean diet. I do regular exercise and avoid anxiety and depression.

Protein S deficiency may cause the development of blood clots in veins rather than arteries, so your lower limbs and lungs are susceptible to clots. Therefore you should avoid sedentary life. Blood thinners are not indicated unless you have prolonged air travel, surgery, and pregnancy.

| 

I am 10% ischaemic. Does it cause a heart attack?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

There is only mildly reduced tracer uptake and not an area of necrosis, and it can occur with increased heart rates in anyone. Chances of heart attack are very less (equal to the general population of your age and ethnicity). General measures to prevent any cardiac event are the same as for the general population.

|