Q. Why is there pain from breast bone to shoulder and down the arm?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
Published on Apr 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having a pain that goes from my breast bone under my left breast up to my left shoulder and down my arm. It is a dull consistent pain but sometimes becomes sharp. I am a six time MI patient and have had two light strokes. I had a similar pain three years back during a massive heart attack. I am on Aspirin 81 mg, Ranitidine 150 mg, Furosemide 40 mg, Paroxetine 20 mg, Clopidogrel 75 mg, Isosorb 120 mg (two times a day), Meclizine 25 mg, Robaxin 500 mg, Atorvastatin 40 mg, Ropinirole 5 mg, Klor-Con 20 mg.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

Your symptoms could be related to myocardial ischemia. Musculoskeletal pain cannot be excluded either. Coming to this point, I would recommend going to the ER (emergency room) for a careful physical examination and some tests as follows:

1. Resting ECG (electrocardiography) and cardiac enzymes.
  2. Chest X-ray study.
  3. Complete blood count, PCR (polymerase chain reaction), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) for inflammation.

A Dobutamine stress echocardiography may be needed.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Heart Healthy Foods

Article Overview: There are millions of people across the globe who suffer from various heart ailments like atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, coronary heart disease, and stroke. According to the American Public Health Association, a majority of the heart ailments are caused due to a faulty diet and lifestyle pattern owing to today’s sedentary lifestyle. People are so busy and stressful these days that they do not get enough time to exercise and even prepare a healthy meal and end up consuming junk bought from outside which is very palatable and sadly hazardous to health too. Read Article

Here are some of the reasons listed for the causes of various heart diseases. Consumption of Foods High in Bad Cholesterol Bad cholesterol is one which is rich in saturated fats and contains trans fat. Sources of trans fat include butter, ghee, margarine, lard, milk solids, etc. Trans fat is found...  Read Article

The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests inc...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Rathee
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern, but after a detailed evaluation of your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I would say there is nothing to worry. Only monocytes levels are low, it does not mean much. It does not cause anything serious if ...  Read Full

Is the heart muscle becoming too weak?

Query: Hello doctor,My 59 year old father has hypertension from the past nine years and acidity problem. He got an acute MI last month. Prior to this, from past 10 days, he was suffering from a low blood pressure and our family doctor asked him to stop the BP tablet for a few days. At morning 5 AM, he got ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father presented to the hospital late after the episode of acute MI (myocardial infarction) with a total occlusion of LAD. So, before intervention itself, a major part of his anterior heart muscle was damaged. Even after angioplasty, his LVEF deteriorated and yo...  Read Full