Ischemic Heart Disease

Why do I feel short of breath after walking a short distance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60-year-old female, type 2 diabetic. Over the past few months I have become increasingly breathless when walking a short distance even on flat surfaces. Can you please give me some advise?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is likely a cardiac issue. There is a possibility of ischemic heart disease. So, you should get your cardiac work-up done. You need to have ECG and echo, and may need further investigations based on the results of these. Diabetics are more prone for ischemic he...  Read Full »

My cholesterol level is low but triglyceride is high. Is 10 mg statin sufficient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 76-year-old male. I have the following conditions. 1. IHD for many years (T wave inversion). Recently undergone TMT and 2D echo. Both are negative. 2. Mild BP is normal and under control. 3. Thyroid under control. 4. Diabetes for five years and under control. 5. Prostatom...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your explanation in detail. Your triglycerides level is at borderline, not high. You do not have to increase the Statin dosage all you need is to readjust your diet. Reduce the snacks and eat more vegetables and fruits. You should continue taking...  Read Full »

How to reduce the increased lipoprotein level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 42-year-old female. I am not taking any medications till now. Recently, I did my yearly medical tests and saw my LP(a) at 54.3 mg/dL. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, LP(a) level should be less than 30 mg /dL. But, you have an increased level. High level of LP(a) signifies the increased risk for atherosclerosis of vessel and heart disease like ischemic heart disease. The doctor usually prescribes this test when there is a hi...  Read Full »

I have a discomfort under my sternum when I walk up a slope. What do you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a very localized discomfort under my sternum when I exercise. Generally, it does not occur with just walking on level ground but on even a gentle slope (incline) I begin to notice it. I have had an echocardiogram. The cardiologist recommended an angiogram and possibly an angiopla...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your health query and have understood you may be having what is called ischemic heart disease. In this disease, the vessels supplying blood to the heart muscles itself, get clogged due to any reason. When there is the partial blockage (incomplete bloc...  Read Full »

Are angiography and stent good for ischemic heart disease?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother got a sudden heart pain. I took her to the hospital. After ECG And further processing, we came to know that she got ischemic heart disease and her two valves of the heart are closed. She has diabetes and blood pressure problems due to which atherosclerosis occurred three days ago...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An angiogram has to be done in your mother's case to know the extent of the blocks. Also, since she has blocked valves as you said, open heart surgery and valve replacement will be an option for her rather than stenting. In terms of diet to prevent heart disease, it is ...  Read Full »

Is the treatment prescribed for chronic ischemic heart disease correct?

Query: Hello doctor,I would like to ask you for a second opinion on the treatment prescribed for my 53-year-old mother by a cardiologist. She was diagnosed with chronic ischemic heart disease following a routine ECG which I would like to send you, and the blood tests indicated a cholesterol of 280. The sym...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed the therapy prescribed by the doctor and I agree with it. It contains: a blood thinner (Aspirin and Clopidogrel) to help prevent blood clots in the coronary arteries, a beta blocker to lower the heart rate, a nitrate to help increase the blood flow in...  Read Full »

What do my MRI reports suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I am diabetic and hypertensive and have neuro problems. I want you to look at my MRI reports and advice me accordingly. I have attached the reports.  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report says that there are chronic ischemic changes suggestive of small vessel ischemia. These changes are usually seen in people with underly...  Read Full »

What adverse effects would low random blood sugar level have in a heart patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, aged 64, has ischemic cardiomyopathy. Her angina and breathlessness are reduced, and they only occur when she exerts herself. But, she is feeling nauseous and dizzy even though she takes food every two hours. Her random blood sugar test is done, and the values are between...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your mother seems to have issues with her blood sugar and thyroid together along with the heart problems. This makes a vicious circle leading to symptoms getting interrelated thereby creating a worse scenario. She is having high TSH (thyroid-stimulating horm...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to alcohol neuropathy or a back injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 years old, who weighs 160 lbs and 5.10 feet tall. I drink alcohol on and off since I was 18 years old. Once I got back from deployment, I drank pretty hard with friends. I would say 3 to 8 beers every other night and then 12 to 16 on weekends. I quit drinking cold turkey a mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After quitting alcohol, many patients get alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but that usually develops within a week of quitting alcohol. Chest tightness and racing heart can be because of some cardiac problem like rhythm disturbance or ischemic heart disease, or it can a...  Read Full »

How is LVEDP of 4 mmHg concordant with diastolic dysfunction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year old male, and I had episodes of shortness of breath and tachycardia, six months back. I take high doses of Statin and ACE inhibitors from ten years, and my lipid profile is excellent. EKG showed slight ST depression, an echocardiogram showed WMA (wall motion abnormalit...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for providing a detailed explanation. In my practice, normal LVEDP (left ventricular end-diastolic pressure) is considered between 4 to 12 mmHg. I would love to know when you last went for any of these tests, that is EKG (electrocardiography), echocard...  Read Full »