Ischemic Heart Disease

Ischemic heart disease, otherwise called coronary heart disease or coronary artery disease, is when the blood supply to the heart is reduced due to the narrowing of the major blood vessels of the heart. Fatty deposits (plaque) on the walls of these blood vessels is the cause. The symptoms of this disease include chest pain, shortness of breath, and heart attack.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Do all my symptoms occur due to alcohol neuropathy or back injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 years old, who weighs 160 lbs and 5.10 feet tall. I drink alcohol on and off since I was 18 years old. Once I got back from deployment, I drank pretty hard with friends. I would say 3 to 8 beers every other night and then 12 to 16 on weekends. I quit drinking cold turkey a mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to After quitting alcohol, many patients get alcohol withdrawal symptoms, but that usually develops within a week of quitting alcohol. Chest tightness and racing heart can be because of some cardiac problem like rhythm disturbance or ischemic heart disease, or it can a...  Read Full »

Why am I having LVEDP of 4 mmHg in diastolic dysfunction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year old male, and I had episodes of shortness of breath and tachycardia, six months back. I take high doses of Statin and ACE inhibitors from ten years, and my lipid profile is excellent. EKG showed slight ST depression, an echocardiogram showed WMA (wall motion abnormalit...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thanks for providing a detailed explanation. In my practice, normal LVEDP (left ventricular end-diastolic pressure) is considered between 4 to 12 mmHg. I would love to know when you last went for any of these tests, that is EKG (electrocardiography), echocard...  Read Full »

My mother's ECG is abnormal even though she does not have chest pain. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 65 years old and diabetic for the last 15 to 20 years. During her last blood and urine test, there were some issues with lipid profile test apart from sugar fasting and PP. When doctor performed ECG, there was some problem with that also. Now the doctor had recommended CAG. M...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello,Welcome to mother's test results show abnormalities. That is why the doctor has recommended CAG (coronary angiography).The ECG shows ST segment flattening at V, which indicates ischemia (reduced blood supply) and can lead to a heart attack. It can occur in patients without ch...  Read Full »

Should I be concerned about my father's hiccups and burping?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad recently was admitted to hospital after a heart attack, and he was in the hospital for almost a week. Currently, he was discharged and taking rest at home. The doctor advised that his heart pumping rate is around 23% and require improvement. Since morning he has been having hiccup...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I saw your dad's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He has severe heart failure due to supposedly decreased blood supply to the heart (ischemic left ventricular dysfunction). The cause of hiccups and burping could be due to gastritis induced b...  Read Full »

What can cause sudden chest pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom got sudden chest pain. Why? I have attached her echocardiography for reference.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thanks for the query. I saw your mother's Echocardiography (echo). It is very normal (attachment removed to protect patient's identity). Please attach ECG (electrocardiogram) also. Does she have diabetes, hypertension, kidney, and thyroid issue? Does she have any...  Read Full »

Is it likely to have a cardiac disease with normal ECG and Holter report at a young age?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 20-year-old female. I am having chest pain continuously on my left side. Sometimes I feel like it spreads to the left side. Once or twice it extends to the right side too. My BP fluctuates often, and I get low BP. Sometimes I had High BP. I was also having ectopic beats and did a...  Read Full »

Dr. N. Hadi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your age and gender make you a low-risk case for ischemic heart disease. Your ECG (electrocardiography) and 24 hours Holter were reported to be normal. That is also a good sign. Your pain is atypical, which is on the right side and present for a long. I will recomme...  Read Full »

How to confirm whether my dizziness is due to hypertension or BPPV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 75 years old. I have IHD, mild hypertension, diabetes, BPPV, and hypothyroidism for several years. I am herewith giving the BP readings taken last week. I am taking Betacard 50 mg, Ismo 10 mg, and Amlodipine 5 mg for several years. I was told that I had T wave inversion in V4, V...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Firstly, regarding T wave inversions, as you mentioned, you are a case of IHD (ischemic heart disease), so these changes will be persistent throughout the life, and these are likely old changes. You are likely a case of essential hypertension, which is similar t...  Read Full »

Could increased heart rate after exercise be benign?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 48 years old. He is in good physical shape and healthy, exercises regularly, and takes a healthy diet. During exercise, his heart rate gets to 200 bpm when at maximum exertion, which felt slightly high for his age. In mentioning this to his GP, she suggested a stress tes...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I passed carefully through your husband's medical history and uploaded the test (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that his test is suspicious of potential ischemic cardiac disorder. In this regard, further clinical investig...  Read Full »

How to treat inferior wall ischemia with STEMI in mentally retarded patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I try to help a mentally limited woman of 36 with ACS complaint from which the ECG is not clear. I have a photo of her ECG. It seems inferior wall ischemia or NSTEMI. I try to get her examined but difficult to explain to her. Please can you help in reading the ECG?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, definitely there are ischemic changes in the inferior wall as well as lateral wall, suggestive of ischemia, if possible do give her an antiplatelet agent like Aspirin and Clopido...  Read Full »

Why do I feel short of breath after walking a short distance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60-year-old female, type 2 diabetic. Over the past few months I have become increasingly breathless when walking a short distance even on flat surfaces. Can you please give me some advise?  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to This is likely a cardiac issue. There is a possibility of ischemic heart disease. So, you should get your cardiac work-up done. You need to have ECG and echo, and may need further investigations based on the results of these. Diabetics are more prone for ischemic he...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.