Q. I have increased lipoprotein level. How to reduce it?

I am a 42-year-old female. I am not taking any medications till now. Recently, I did my yearly medical tests and saw my LP(a) at 54.3 mg/dL. Please suggest.

Hematology Pathology
#

Usually, LP(a) level should be less than 30 mg /dL. But, you have an increased level. High level of LP(a) signifies the increased risk for atherosclerosis of vessel and heart disease like ischemic heart disease. The doctor usually prescribes this test when there is a high risk for cardiac disease or positive family history. I suggest you check your blood pressure and random blood sugar estimation as well for the further work up. It is advisable to investigate your serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), LDL (low-density lipoprotein), HDL (high-density lipoprotein) and triglyceride estimation as well. You can revert with the reports.

| 

I have attached my reports.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your LP(a) has been increased. But your cholesterol and thyroid profile within the limit. Kindly mention your clinical complaint if you have.

| 

It was just a yearly checkup. I do not have any complaint.

Hematology Pathology
#

What is your BMI (body mass index)? Are you obese?

| 

My BMI is 27.

Hematology Pathology
#

You do not need to worry as you do not have any clinical complaint. I suggest you investigate with treadmill testing and EKG (electrocardiography) for further work up. Check your blood pressure as well. You can reduce your weight and bring your BMI below 25.

| 

I will do it soon, and I will revert with the reports.

Hematology Pathology
#

You can revert with EKG and treadmill report. Try to reduce your weight soon and bring your BMI below 25. Do exercise regularly. Eat more fruits. Take green leafy vegetables more. Avoid having heavy, fatty foods and excess of junk foods.

| 

I am physically active. I am going to the gym regularly. But I have a habit of eating sweet more. I will try to control it.

Hematology Pathology
#

Your vitamin D level is low. It is in borderline. For that, I suggest you take more milk especially fortified milk with vitamin D. Tana, and salmon fish are a good source of it.

|