Q. Does ankle surgery increase the risk of ischemic stroke?

I am a 49-year-old male. Is it possible to suffer from an ischemic stroke as a result of ankle surgery? The stroke is on the left side of the brain causing paralysis in my right side. I am healthy otherwise.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

If you were immobilized for a few days after the surgery there is a possibility in the development of deep vein thrombosis in a male above 40 years of age. If suppose that thrombus got dislodged, it may traveled to the brain resulting in ischemic stroke.

The possibility is low, as almost all the venous origin embolus are filtered out in the lungs before reaching the brain but in case you have any defect in your heart then, it is quite possible.

The other possibility might be any carotid narrowing which lead to the development of an intra-arterial thrombus formation other than thrombus origin in left side of the heart.

| 

Will anyone get recurrent stroke while on medications?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had a stroke two years ago related to AFib. They put her on Eliquis, maximum dose. Last week she had another stroke, and they believe it is heart-related. They are still puzzled though and have added a baby Aspirin a day on top of the Eliquis. Has anyone heard of a recurrent st...  Read Full »

Unable to walk and move properly after stroke. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is not able to walk properly and she cannot move properly. She met with ischemic stroke eight years back and she is diabetic and has BP, and seizures (epilepsy) treated with Insulin, and BP suppressants, Atorvastatin, Levetiracetam, Phenytoin (Eptoin) since seven years, but ...  Read Full »

Cataract Surgery FAQ - Eye Health

Article Overview: No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging, is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. In this article, I try to answer commonly asked questions from cataract patients. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. Here I have dealt with questions that cataract patients commonly ask me. How do I know that I have developed cataract? Almost eve...  Read Article