Q. Why is there inability to walk or move after a stroke?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

My mother is not able to walk properly and she cannot move properly. She met with ischemic stroke eight years back and she is diabetic and has BP, and seizures (epilepsy) treated with Insulin, and BP suppressants, Atorvastatin, Levetiracetam, Phenytoin (Eptoin) since seven years, but she is not able to walk properly and she is not able to move her hands and legs properly. Her thinking and behavior have also become very mild. Please suggest me the correct medication for her.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

Ischemic stroke is a condition where there is incomplete blood supply to a certain part of the brain leading to permanent damage to that part of the brain. Consequently, the function carried out by the affected part of the brain is lost. The only way to recover function following permanent damage is physiotherapy which enables the existing normal part of the brain tore-learn the function that was earlier carried out by the now non-functional brain.

In the case of your mother, physiotherapy is the only way to improve the lost function. In addition, we can make things in the house and around in a way that is easy for your mother to navigate such as having a motorized wheelchair, etc.

| 

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

I have neck spasm and difficulty in walking. Please help.

Query: Hello, I weigh 39 kg and I am 31 years old. I have lost two kilograms in the last two months. I am having spasm in the neck since 2 months. It started when I had sudden sneezing and was not able to move the neck soon after that. Neck movements got restricted. I consulted a doctor and took tablet...  Read Full »

How to prevent stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, Kindly give some tips on the ways to prevent stroke.  Read Full »