Q. Why is there inability to walk or move after a stroke?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Published on Feb 27, 2019

My mother is not able to walk properly and she cannot move properly. She met with ischemic stroke eight years back and she is diabetic and has BP, and seizures (epilepsy) treated with Insulin, and BP suppressants, Atorvastatin, Levetiracetam, Phenytoin (Eptoin) since seven years, but she is not able to walk properly and she is not able to move her hands and legs properly. Her thinking and behavior have also become very mild. Please suggest me the correct medication for her.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

Ischemic stroke is a condition where there is incomplete blood supply to a certain part of the brain leading to permanent damage to that part of the brain. Consequently, the function carried out by the affected part of the brain is lost. The only way to recover function following permanent damage is physiotherapy which enables the existing normal part of the brain tore-learn the function that was earlier carried out by the now non-functional brain.

In the case of your mother, physiotherapy is the only way to improve the lost function. In addition, we can make things in the house and around in a way that is easy for your mother to navigate such as having a motorized wheelchair, etc.

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full

I have neck spasm and difficulty in walking. Please help.

Query: Hello, I weigh 39 kg and I am 31 years old. I have lost two kilograms in the last two months. I am having spasm in the neck since 2 months. It started when I had sudden sneezing and was not able to move the neck soon after that. Neck movements got restricted. I consulted a doctor and took tablet...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amit Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Whole event started with a sneezing after which you developed muscular spasm in the neck. You took pregabalin for neuropathic pain but due to its side effect you discontinued.  After that you had physiotherapy and developed other neurological symptoms and you...  Read Full

How to prevent stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, Kindly give some tips on the ways to prevent stroke.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here are some tips to prevent stroke. Regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging according to your capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five to seven days a week in nearly all peoples. Regular exercises help in reducing weight, decrease lipid level and bl...  Read Full