Q. What is the chance of getting stroke while on medications?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 09, 2019

My mom had a stroke two years ago related to AFib. They put her on Eliquis, maximum dose. Last week she had another stroke, and they believe it is heart-related. They are still puzzled though and have added a baby Aspirin a day on top of the Eliquis. Has anyone heard of a recurrent stroke while on this medication? I am not 100 % confident in their decision. Kindly help.

#

Recurrent strokes are very common. As your mom have atrial fibrillation, she must be on regular anticoagulants for prevention of stroke. But as now she has developed new stroke while taking anticoagulants, Its right decision to add ecosprin for further prevention of stroke. Must check your mom's compliance of medicines (if she was taking it regularly or intermittently skipping medicines). Also she should be evaluated for other risk factors of stroke.

CT angio neck and brain vessels, 2D Echo or transesophageal echo and serum homocysteine.

How to prevent stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, Kindly give some tips on the ways to prevent stroke.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here are some tips to prevent stroke. Regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging according to your capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five to seven days a week in nearly all peoples. Regular exercises help in reducing weight, decrease lipid level and bl...  Read Full

Is my dad's heart weakening after having a stuttering stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my father. He is a healthy 75 years old, eats healthy, drinks at least two liters water a day. He has since five years atrial fibrillation and gets for that Xarelto 15 mg and Amlodipine accord 5 mg, takes them in the morning and that was always good. Unfortunat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In atrial fibrillation, the heart beats can vary in frequency and height (amplitude). What is more important in these patients is that the rate needs to be controlled and not above 100 beats per minute. Also, one must make sure that no clot forms in the heart due to ...  Read Full

No more painful bouts of AFib. Can this be due to the stopping of Bisoprolol?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 65-year-old male who has until recently been playing tennis regularly. I have been on beta blockers for about 15 years, first on 50 mg Atenolol and then on 10 mg Bisoprolol. They lowered my pulse rate to about 60 but then about three years ago I started to get AFib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Atrial fibrillation (also called AFib or AF) is a quivering or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) that can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications. Normally, your heart contracts and relaxes to a regular beat. In atrial fibrill...  Read Full