Q. Is Isotretinoin a good tablet for acne?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

I have deep acne on the face for more than 10 years and for which my doctor has prescribed Isotretinoin drug Isokon 20 mg. The medicine seems to show a lot of improvement for acne. However, I feel that it has some side effects as I feel tired with burning eyes. Is this normal? Is Isotretinoin a good tablet to take? Or will it cause any adverse effects to my health? I need a second opinion about this drug. Also, my doctor took some medical tests before prescribing the drug such as CBC, LFT and lipid profile and all were normal.

#

• Yes, Isotretinoin is a wonder drug for acne. But, it has lots of side effects.
  • The side effects can be avoided if you take it under strict guidance of your dermatologist.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have two symptoms. I am getting tired and my eyes are burning. These are just suspected side effects and I am not sure if it is caused due to this drug. Do I need to stop taking this tablet or finish off the course? How often do I need to keep a check on my medical tests? My doctor said constant checkup needs to be done on LFT, lipid profile and blood count.

#

• Yes, tiredness is a side effect of this drug. But, there is nothing to worry. You will be fine once you stop this medicine.
  • You should complete the course and it will be better. The investigations should be periodically checked like once in two or three months.
  • If you find any major side effects like mood disturbance, headache, photosensitivity etc., then it is a must to consult your treating dermatologist.

|