Q. Will Isotretinoin affect future pregnancy?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2021

I am an unmarried woman. My plan is to get into marriage life after two years. Currently, I have been taking Isotretinoin for the past 20 days. I have heard that it may cause infertility in women. Does Isotretinoin cause future birth defect? Will it affect my future pregnancy?

#

Actually, it is known that Isotretinoin can cause severe birth defects in the baby if taken during pregnancy.

So, you must not take it, if you are pregnant. And if you have taken, then some doctor will advice termination also in early pregnancy.

But, there is no study done specifically to find correlation between Isotretinoin and infertility. And if done, then there is no correlation found significantly. So, you can use Isotretinoin if you are not pregnant.

If you are planning for pregnancy, then stop using at least two to three months before.

If you have acne and you are taking treatment for that, then let me tell you that try to lose some weight if possible. It will also decrease your problem.

As far as future pregnancy is concerned, do not take Isotretinoin in pregnancy and stop before pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can I take Omega-3 fatty acid pill while on Isotretinoin?

#

• Yes, you can take both at once. There is no cross reaction between them. It is usually given in acne combined for treatment.
  • But, as a one effect, there is increasing triglyceride (fat) level by taking this. So, do exercise and try to reduce some weight. Otherwise, it is good.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|