Q. My 93-year-old uncle has severe body itching, crust formation, and toenail fungus. Please suggest solution.

Dr. Snehal Laul

This question is on behalf of my uncle. He is 93 years old.

He is complaining of severe itching all over his body. He was previously treated for this condition but it has appeared again. He was prescribed Allegra M, Clindamycin cream for local application thrice daily, Momate cream for local application thrice daily. Crust has started forming on his lower legs and the skin is flaking. He applies moisturizer Aquasoft Max cream. Crusting goes but keeps coming back. He also has fungus in toenails.

He takes medicines for hypertension, prostate, hip pain, and nerve pain. His current medications are Metolar 25, Cardace 5, Urimax, and Duloxetine 20 mg twice daily. He also has AMD of his eyes. We have pictures of his skin issue. Please help.

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

Take tablet Atarax 10 mg thrice daily for seven days (for itching) or Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily for 15 days. Use Skin first moisturizing lotion after bath for 15 days, Tenovate cream at night for 15 days.

Use Emoderm cream at daytime for 15 days, and Liquid Moyzen lotion or Liquid paraffin lotion in the evening for 15 days. 5 percent Amorolfine nail lacquer on fungal nail infection twice weekly for 16 weeks. Luliconazole lotion twice daily for 15 days (on fungal nail infection).

Is he diabetic? Is there any fever, oozing, or excess scratching and rubbing of the lesion? Any history of psoriasis, atopy, or allergies?

| 

No he is not diabetic. No fever or oozing. Yes, he scratches a lot. He does not have psoriasis. He had scaly layer of skin in the past.

My queries are, regarding tablet Atarax 10 mg thrice daily for seven days (for itching) or Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily for 15 days. My uncle has taken tablet Levocetrizine in the past and experienced excess drowsiness. He would like to try Atarax but concerned about being drowsy. He is on wheelchair since one week after a fall. He is on Duloxetine 20 mg since four days for hip and nerve pain and this also makes him drowsy throughout the day.

He recently started using Aquasoft Max Intensive moisturizing cream and has a few tubes left. Will this work? He also uses Moisturex liquid soap as well.

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

It is foot eczema or lichen simplex chronicus. The crust or thickened skin will require keratolytic treatment. Topisal 3 percent ointment at night at daytime for 15 days. (Do not apply it on oozing lesions, only on thickened skin).

Liquid Moyzen lotion will help to reduce dryness and peeling. Emollient like Emoderm cream will make skin soft and smooth. Coconut oil can be used sometimes as home remedy. Tablet Widcet 5 mg once in a day (when itching) is fine, will not cause side effects. It is a low dose. Antihistamine which will help in reducing itching.

|