Q. I have a skin disease with itching in hands and legs with hair fall problem. Give me advice and details related to the disease.

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dear Doctor,

I have skin disease with itching in hands and legs along with heavy hair fall problem. I have attached my medical report and prescription (attachment removed to protect privacy).

Give me advice and details related to the disease. Also I need more details about the prescription.

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. Your biopsy shows hansen's disease or leprosy in common language. To help you better, I need a few photos of the lesion and few more details. Also kindly answer the following questions:

• Do you have any dry hypopigmented patch anywhere on the body?
  • Do you have any tingling sensation in the hands or feet?
  • Do you feel decrease in sensation anywhere (not being able to feel)?\
  • Do you have hair loss anywhere else also on the body?
  • Did you fall ill anytime during the last year?

For the hairfall you can start tablet Follihair.

| 

Hi doctor, 1. I do not have any dryness of the skin anywhere in the body.

2. There is no tingling sensation, but I have a body pain (head, hands and leg). It pains like poking from inside. I have itching inside the ears and in the eyes. At times itching also in the head, hands and legs.

3. I do not feel decrease in sensation anywhere.

4. I have a hair loss in the head and not anywhere else in the body.

5. In the past one year I did not fall ill. But my arms above the elbow and the side portion of my knees have swelling a bit. It at times pains and the swelling is still there.

6. I am a female aged 31. Mother of two kids one aged 12 years and the other aged 4 years.

7. In the family history there is no such problem. My father had diabetes and he passed away of heart attack.

8. I have attached all the images and the medicines that were prescribed to me. I did consult a local doctor, but I was not happy with their answer. Am very much afraid, please help.

Dr. Meha Malhotra

#

• First of all leprosy is completely curable, secondly chances of spread to family members is extremely rare. The hypopigmented patches you have along with pain in hands and legs can be leprosy.
  • Your histhopathology report is indicative of indeterminate leprosy. My advise is get a second opinion because such diagnosis is important to rule in or rule out after thorough physical examination. One has to check for touch and temperature sensation, examination for thickening of several nerves.
  • Also repeat the biopsy from another lab with a slit smear examination taken from the lesions. Also get a PCR M. leprae done from the scraping of lesions or biopsy material.
  • Once the diagnosis gets confirmed the treatment is available at free of cost in any Indian Government hospital. Or else you can take RCIN 600mg once a month on empty stomach, tablet Hansapran 300mg once a month with Hansapran 50mg daily in the morning and Dapsone 100mg at night. Also get a G6PD deficiency test before starting dapsone.

In case there is any other thing you wish to ask, please feel free to consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

White patches developed on spots where corticosteroid was applied. Is it vitiligo?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has skin lesions that started last year. They are on one side of the body. Initially, she got eczema kind small red rashes for which we applied Corticosteroid and later we observed whitish patches developing on those spots. Initially, the GP thought it could be tinea versicolo...  Read Full »

Nails appear to be unfixed in the skin. Can this issue be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's daughter is suffering from nails problem in both hands and legs. She is a 14-year-old girl now. The problem started when she was a 2-year-old baby. The nails appear to be unfixed in the skin because they would easily be pulled out when they are stuck in clothes' fabric, fo...  Read Full »

What is the reason for recurring white spots on my genital area?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had white spots on my genital area for the past one year. They are not bumps but just spots. They do not itch or smell. They are only just visible. After applying a cream such as Beclomin for prolonged periods, it goes away but once I stop, it starts to appear again.  Read Full »