Q. Nails appear to be unfixed in the skin. Can this issue be treated?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Jan 25, 2018

My friend's daughter is suffering from nails problem in both hands and legs. She is a 14-year-old girl now. The problem started when she was a 2-year-old baby. The nails appear to be unfixed in the skin because they would easily be pulled out when they are stuck in clothes' fabric, for example. Then a new nail will appear in the place of the removed one in a month or two. She is otherwise a normal girl with no unusual symptoms. Her father has not consulted a doctor because nobody knows what disease it is and which doctor they should consult. When I saw the patient I thought it would be a fungal infection and I decided to consult you. Would you please look at the pics in the attachment and tell us about your impression and views about the case. Can such an issue be treated? What is the treatment plan?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw the clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like twenty nail dystrophy. This is a clinical diagnosis. Some cases are genetic and some are acquired.

The cause for the nail dystrophy is not very well known. Some of the systemic diseases like anemia, IgA deficiency, primary biliary cirrhosis are the mentioned causes. Some of the skin diseases like atopic dermatitis, alopecia areata, vitiligo, eczema are also known to cause this type of nail changes. This is not a fungal infection. Because all the finger and toenails are involved equally. Usually, fungal nail infection starts in one fingernail then spreads to few other nails, but never all nails.

This is a difficult condition to treat, there are case reports saying spontaneous correction of nails with age.Other treatment modalities include:

1. Nail supplements, Biotin oral pills, at night.
  2. Topical corticosteroids would help in the early stages.
  3. Topical 5 FU has shown some promising results.
  4. Topical Psoralen UVA (PUVA) therapy for nails.

A protein-rich diet consisting of eggs, chicken, milk, dal, and curd would help because nail is made up of protein. Dietary protein is very important. She can start taking nail nutrient pills, that has biotin, calcium, zinc, iron, etc.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Are my dark nails normal?

Query: Hello doctor,These are my nail picture. Are they normal? I think they are little dark. My mom says I had this kind of nails from childhood. I am physically active gymmer for last two years. I play cricket at the professional level. Just want to confirm and get peace of mind. I had full body blood te...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for habit-tic deformity.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 33 year old male. My weight is 64 kg and height is 5'5". I am having a peculiar problem, and upon a lot of research on the internet, I found out that it is a habit-tic deformity. I am having horizontal ripples on my right thumb since closely three years. I recently started obse...  Read Full »

Onychomycosis - Fungal Infection of Nails, Its Patterns and Treatment

Article Overview: Most of the patients in dermatological practice who present with nail infections, come with an expectation that it gets cured in the first visit itself. But, due to the slow growth of nail plate and deeper involvement of nail matrix, it requires treatment for longer duration. In this article, I have discussed about fungal infection of the nails. Read Article

Onychomycosis includes nail infections due to dermatophytes, non-dermatophytes and yeasts as well. Dermatophyte infection of the nail plate is known as tinea unguium. It occurs due to the same species that causes tinea pedis (fungal infection of the feet) and tinea manuum (fungal infection of the ha...  Read Article