Q. I have itchy scrotum for the past 5 years. Should I concern about STD?

Dr. Abdel Hakam Soliman

I have scrotum itch, which has been persistent over the years (>5 years) with no other symptoms. There are no visible blisters or warts. It itches throughout the day. I see a slight difference in skin appearance, i.e., whitish patch when I use apple cider vinegar to clean the area as a home remedy for possible skin infection. But the white patch fades off and is not visibly different after the apple cider vinegar fades off. Should I be concerned about STD?

#

This is probably lichen simplex chronicus, i.e., skin thickening, due to the habit of frequent rubbing. But please add a photo of the affected area to make sure of the diagnosis.

I have attached a photo of the area with itch.

#

Thank you for these accurate photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As I expected, it is a lichen simplex chronicus. The scrotum is a favorite site of lichen simplex chronicus. Please stop scratching, squeezing, or rubbing the skin of your scrotum. You might note that this practice usually increases the sensation of itching, which causes more scratching and rubbing, and so on. So you have to cut this sequence once and forever. The color will return normal very soon.

I advise the following treatment course:

Take a Desloratadine tablet in the morning for two weeks and a Cetirizine tablet once at bedtime for two weeks. Any emollient several times daily for the same period and then after showering for another couple of months.

|