Q. What can be done about itchy cracks on scrotum that are spreading?

I have read your previous enquiry on a patient that had itchy-cracks on his scrotum and I am experiencing the same. I also have some white spots on my penis, also in the head. I did some tests before to see if it was a fungus, but the results were negative. I have been having this issue for the past year and it is scattering around more and more. Please help. Thank you.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
MBBS., MD DERMATOLOGY
Cosmetology, Dermatology, HIV/AIDS Specialist, Venereology

Please answer the following:

1. Is the scrotal skin dry and itchy?
  2. Any other symptoms like burning sensation?
  3. Does it involve only scrotum or other areas too?
  4. Any history of local ointments application over this area?
  5. What treatment have you previously taken for this issue?

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Yes, the scrotum is dry and itchy. Sometimes, it gets really itchy and I just want to scratch but I am not sure if it is a burning sensation. I am using an ointment compounded by Salicylic acid 2.2 % and Benzoic acid 4.4 %. Any idea why there are white spots on the penis? Thank you.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
MBBS., MD DERMATOLOGY

I have seen the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Stop using this ointment. You seem to have scrotal dermatitis. You can use plain emollient instead like Cetaphil moisturizing cream repeatedly.

1. Antihistamines like Loratadine 10 mg can be taken twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  2. Undergarments should be 100 % cotton.
  3. Use soap minimally over this area. Avoid it on most days.
  4. If these measures do not help, your dermatologist may advise tablet Doxycycline 100 mg once or twice daily for a few days.

The white spots seem to be post inflammatory hypopigmentation and will resolve by itself. This happens due to some prior inflammatory process over the area. No active intervention is needed.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Seborrheic Dermatitis - the Most Common Scalp Condition
Article Overview: This article discusses the clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of seborrheic dermatitis in both infants and adults.  Read Article »

Seborrheic dermatitis is a papulosquamous disorder with an inflammatory component. It is characterized by well-defined erythema and accompanied by overlying greasy scales. Seborrheic dermatitis will be seen over areas rich in sebum namely scalp, eyebrows, center of the face, eyelids, around and in t ...  Read Article »

How to treat the weird redness on my cheeks?
Query: Hi doctor, I have some weird redness on my cheeks all the time no matter what weather it is. I have attached my photos for your reference. It is just there and it does not hurt at all. But, I want to overcome it. Is there any way? I am 18 years old now. Thank you.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and description. It looks like melasma or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Melasma is an acquired pigmentation of sun-exposed areas. Areas that receive excessive sun exposure, including the c...  Read Full »

I have hard, itchy lumps on the scrotum. What is it?
Query: Hi doctor, I have lumps or cysts on the scrotum for a year of around 8-9 in number. They are of different size. There is no pain but I feel too much itching on the skin of scrotum. When I touch them they feel little hard. By seeing the photos which I have attached here for your reference please tell...  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have attached. You are suffering from scrotum steatocystoma multiplex. It is a type of sebaceous cyst. They are benign; do not have any chance of malignancy. So, if they are bothering you...  Read Full »

Why is antifungal medicine not working for my skin problem?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a skin condition for about four years in groin area as you can see in the attached pictures. There is a dark brown area with sharp borders on upper inner thighs where scrotum touches thighs. There is no itch, pain or burning sensation and it is not raised and also v...  Read Full »
Dr. Rashmi Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity). It does look like fungal infection with some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. We need to address the infection first and then proceed to pigmentation. Please tell what antifungals y...  Read Full »

There are itchy cracks on my scrotum. What is it?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a skin problem on my scrotum. I am having this issue since six months. It itches every time and there are cracks on my scrotum. I am using Betnovate. When I use the ointment, it goes away and when I stop it, it recurs. Previously, I had a skin disease, which I think as keratos...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern.  Read Full »

Atopic Dermatitis - a Chronic Relapsing Skin Disease
Article Overview: Atopic dermatitis is a chronic disease, which usually manifests for the first time in infancy or childhood. But, it usually improves with age.  Read Article »

Atopic dermatitis is an endogenous eczema (eczema due to internal causes) characterized by extreme itchiness and recurrent symmetric eczematous dermatitis. The involvement of a site depends on the age of the patients. This chronic eczema is one of the atopic conditions and together with asthma and h ...  Read Article »

Can scar reopening after surgery cause urinary problem in hypospadias patient?
My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.
Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?