Q. What can be done about itchy cracks on scrotum that are spreading?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Mar 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2018

I have read your previous enquiry on a patient that had itchy-cracks on his scrotum and I am experiencing the same. I also have some white spots on my penis, also in the head. I did some tests before to see if it was a fungus, but the results were negative. I have been having this issue for the past year and it is scattering around more and more. Please help. Thank you.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Please answer the following:

1. Is the scrotal skin dry and itchy?
  2. Any other symptoms like burning sensation?
  3. Does it involve only scrotum or other areas too?
  4. Any history of local ointments application over this area?
  5. What treatment have you previously taken for this issue?

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Yes, the scrotum is dry and itchy. Sometimes, it gets really itchy and I just want to scratch but I am not sure if it is a burning sensation. I am using an ointment compounded by Salicylic acid 2.2 % and Benzoic acid 4.4 %. Any idea why there are white spots on the penis? Thank you.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

I have seen the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Stop using this ointment. You seem to have scrotal dermatitis. You can use plain emollient instead like Cetaphil moisturizing cream repeatedly.

1. Antihistamines like Loratadine 10 mg can be taken twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  2. Undergarments should be 100 % cotton.
  3. Use soap minimally over this area. Avoid it on most days.
  4. If these measures do not help, your dermatologist may advise tablet Doxycycline 100 mg once or twice daily for a few days.

The white spots seem to be post inflammatory hypopigmentation and will resolve by itself. This happens due to some prior inflammatory process over the area. No active intervention is needed.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Why do I have an itchy lump on my scrotum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have lumps or cysts on the scrotum for a year of around 8-9 in number. They are of different size. There is no pain but I feel too much itching on the skin of scrotum. When I touch them they feel little hard. By seeing the photos which I have attached here for your reference please tell...  Read Full »

Why is antifungal medicine not working for my skin problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a skin condition for about four years in groin area as you can see in the attached pictures. There is a dark brown area with sharp borders on upper inner thighs where scrotum touches thighs. There is no itch, pain or burning sensation and it is not raised and also v...  Read Full »

What causes itchy cracks on the scrotum?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a skin problem on my scrotum. I am having this issue since six months. It itches every time and there are cracks on my scrotum. I am using Betnovate. When I use the ointment, it goes away and when I stop it, it recurs. Previously, I had a skin disease, which I think as keratos...  Read Full »