Q. I have PCOS, is it necessary to do IVF with ICSI?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

I am a 32 year old female, and I weigh 57 kg. I am work in a bank, which keeps me out of home from 9 AM to 7 PM. I was diagnosed with PCOS, and I have a 1.5 mm intramural fibroid on the posterior wall of the uterus since two years. I am taking Glyciphage SR 500 since then, and it has kept my period as well as ovulation regular. My menstrual cycle is 28 to 31 days now. My husband is 33 years old, and he weighs 72 kg, and his job keeps him away from home for 12 hours. He is suffering from erectile dysfunction from last year. His semen analysis revealed slow sperm, and he has been on Edon and Maxoza since three months.

We went for IUI last month, and my husband has 10 million motile sperm count. The fertility specialist at the clinic told it is too low for IUI and suggested IVF with ICSI since IUI is only time and money loss. Is it necessary to do IVF with ICSI in our case? Since I have PCOS, can I suffer from OHSS during IVF? I am a working woman, do I need to take long breaks from the job while going IVF treatment? Can I go for single embryo transfer? Is bed rest needed after embryo transfer or during the entire IVF procedure?

#

It is not necessary to go for IVF (in vitro fertilization). IVF has more success rate than IUI (intrauterine insemination) during infertility. I suggest trying IUI few more times, but chances of success are less. So, you have to take the decision.

Nowadays with advanced methods and monitoring, chances of OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) are very less even with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).

No need to go for long leaves. You can take rest for 2 to 3 days after the embryo transfer and can continue moderate work. Complete bed rest is not at all needed during IVF treatment. You can do routine nonstrenuous activities.

You can go for single embryo transfer as well, but the chances of pregnancy with multiple transfers are more.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

I had extreme pain on the third day of my period when it has almost ended. The same thing also happened before a few months. The doctor said nothing. I was diagnosed with PCOS before two years. Since then, I am on Glyciphase srv500 and periods happen 28 days interval like last month on 23rd and this month on 21st. I am apprehensive.

#

There is no need to worry about it as nothing abnormal other than PCOS on ultrasound. The cramps can happen and they are normal.

For further doubts consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|