Q. What is the success rate of IVF?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

I am a 30 year old female. Actually, I have hormone problems. I have periods problems and without medicine I will not get periods. My uterus and ovaries were smaller in size. Now, with artificial hormones the size of the uterus has become normal. Can I get IVF? Will it be successful?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• As you have stated you had small ovaries and uterus, this needs a better clarification.
  • Was it an ultrasonographic finding? What are the medicines you are on?
  • And finally, are you having a regular cycle now?
  • For an IVF (in vitro fertilization), you need a detailed evaluation of your hormonal profile as well as hysterosalpingography to see if there is any anomaly inside.
  • Only after knowing these, you could be told about the success of IVF.

Revert back with the answers to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Yes, I am using my medicine Progynova and Meprate. With the help of these medicines, the period cycle continues. I am using progesterone and estrogen for the last 14 years. If I did not take these medicines, then I am unable to get my regular monthly cycle. Due to these medicines, my uterus size became normal. But, my ovaries remain the same. My doctor said that now I can go for IVF. But, she also said that in every IVF case there is 30% to 40% chance for success and so I am in doubt now.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Yes, truly there is only 30% success rate of IVF cycles. The rate is much lower where there is inherent hormonal problem like you have at present.
  • You need also an ovulation for an IVF. Are you having ovulation regularly?
  • Thus, there are lots of question still needs clarifications. Is your uterine size adequate to adopt the child?
  • See, only after thorough screening, it can be told that whether an IVF could be tried or not.
  • Success of IVF is another story, as I have previously said; only 30% patients with otherwise normal parameters can achieve success following an IVF. Meet an IVF specialist for a basic screening.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|