Jaw Clicking

I have crackling sound and soreness in my TMJ area. Will it go away by itself?

Query: Hello doctor, I had pain in my left ear and I went to an ENT specialist. He said that my ears are fine and there is no infection. He said that I have soreness in my TMJ joint as I have a tendency to sleep on my left side with my left arm tucked under the pillow. That puts pressure on my TMJ joint a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be because of two reasons: Due to TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problem. For that, you can do dry hot fomentation and eat soft foods preferably from the other side. It can be due to a nose block or a mild infection. Put decongestant nose drops like Otrivin (Xyl...  Read Full »

What can be done to permanently cure clicking of TMJ?

Query: Hello doctor, I have problems with my TMJ. When I wake up in the morning, I feel an annoying clicking in my TMJ. I do some exercise by opening and closing my jaw (while giving support to my chin with the thumb). It reduces that clicking to some extent but I want some permanent treatment. I do not f...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern about your TMJ. There may be some cause associated with it, that means for a permanent solution you have to single out the cause and eliminate it. Some major causes are as follows: 1. Missing teeth, grossl...  Read Full »

I have jaw pain with popping and locking. Is it a TMJ problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female and for about nine months I have had severe jaw pain and it hurts when I chew and sometimes it pops and locks into place. My parents brought it up to my dentist about two months after it started but without looking at my jaw or even asking me about it they s...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. Lock jaw, clicking sound are one of the classic symptoms of TMJ disorders. TMJ stands for temperomandibular joint which is the joint that moves the mandible up, down and sideways. If there is a lack of cushion...  Read Full »

I could feel on and off cracking and popping noise around my jaw and wrist. Is this bad?

Query: Hello doctor, My jaw pops and cracks and it has been happening for like two years. It used to be worse but it comes and goes. Also, when I move my wrists, there is a cracking or popping noise. Sometimes, my wrist locks and I have to roll it to fix it. Is this bad? I am a female.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fingers popping is common and not considered to be a cause for worry. It, however, must be remembered that you should avoid popping them. Jaw cracking is another condition that as long it is not painful it can be observed, but if you have pain in the areas just in fr...  Read Full »

How to correct jaw discomfort and bite alignment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I have jaw discomfort and a misaligned bite. I have not removed my wisdom tooth, and I have a habit of popping the jaw. I usually put my palm over the jaw near my ear, and there will be a pop. I have a gum tissue behind my molar, and I am unable to close my left side o...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Check your temporomandibular joint X-ray first. It sounds like a TMJ problem called a lockjaw. Depending upon the degree of damage, you require treatment. The most common solution is wearing a splint every day to prevent a rough sliding of joints. Since you are 18 years...  Read Full »

My jaw is stuck and I am unable to close my mouth. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor,My upper jaw is stuck and I am unable to close my mouth. Do you have any advice?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. It is known as a lock jaw. It can occur if you suddenly open your mouth too much while yawning, singing or in case of a trauma. You need to visit a dentist for the proper management. It is not advisable to b...  Read Full »

I get a popping and locking sensation in the jaw. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I usually get a popping and locking sensation in my left jaw which happens while eating and getting up in the morning. I also have a partially erupted wisdom tooth in that part. I read about TMJ on the internet and I am getting anxiety because of it. I am very afraid. Recently, the ja...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to be afraid of. You seem to have recurrent disc displacement. The main cause can be the one you mentioned, your half-erupted tooth. I suggest you get it removed and make sure you eat from both the sides. The joint gets stressed if you eat from only on...  Read Full »

Is my dentist right in saying that my jaw pain and stiffness are incurable?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from jaw pain and stiffness for a while now which can sometimes result in a headache and pain in the ears. I also can hear my jaws pop when I open my mouth wide. I visited a dentist regarding this issue and after an X-ray, it was concluded that I have a dislocated T...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is always a cause associated with it, that can be one of the following: Habitual one-sided chewing. Missing posterior teeth from one side. Decayed teeth on one. Malocclusion. In case you have one of the above-mentioned conditions associated or night clinc...  Read Full »

My constant jaw clicking is becoming a nuisance. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old female, and I have been experiencing a lot of jaw clicking constantly throughout the day, for the past five months. It is only located on the right side of my face. It is not painful, but after consecutive months of constant jaw clicking, it has become a nuisance. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your complaint, I guess you should monitor your electrolyte and mineral levels. If it is due to muscle twitching, the cause can be either neurological or due to low levels of calcium or other minerals. If there is a bone clicking in the jaw, which gives a cre...  Read Full »