HomeAnswersDentistryjaw painI an unable to chew due to pain in my TMJ, and now my face looks asymmetrical. What should I do?

Can TMJ pain cause facial deformity and problems in chewing?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 15, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 29, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am having pain in my right TMJ. It has been there for many years but is getting worse. I am not able to chew anything. The right side of my face looks fuller than the left, and my face looks asymmetrical. My TMJ used to get stuck or make clicking sounds till last year. But now it does not do it. I am not able to open my mouth completely. It does not affect me unless I open my mouth or chew.

Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

This is due to a disorder in TMJ (temporomandibular joint), and one side is hypertrophied due to a chewing issue. This problem can be due to problems in teeth, high contacts, lack of teeth, trauma to the joint, and retro discitis.

You are advised to visit a nearby dental hospital in the oral medicine and radiology department. You may need an OPG (orthopantomography) and a general oral examination.

You may need tooth replacement, denture, FPD (fixed partial denture), or splint.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy