Q. Invisalign retainer has caused me jaw problem after stop wearing them. Why?

Dr. Wajid Hassan

I think I have had an adverse reaction to Invisalign retainers over the past few years. I think they have caused me jaw issues (chronic facial tension radiating to all areas in my face and associated with droopy eyelids and jaw clicking and aberrant jaw positions, etc., and I can move this tension around with purposeful movements of facial muscles and pressure sensitivity on the face-tension is trapped, worsened, altered by glasses, pressure, and prescription and eye movements).

I believe this began when I stopped wearing them 24/7 and particularly when I switched to wearing them every other night. I have noticed that my jaw is asymmetrical and perhaps small particularly on the RHS (may be a link to why I was initially getting tension symptoms on the RHS) so maybe Invisalign causes issues, stretches, small and asymmetric jaws excessively, or I have some random unexplained predisposition to my jaw getting confused by regularly changing bites or something (still think the latter may have something to do with the former). I just wanted to inform you of this as I have been told these symptoms are unique, functional and although Invisalign is known to sometimes cause TMJ problems it is not heard of causing issues like this. I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

#

The symptoms described by you are rarely caused by Invisalign, it may cause TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problems in some people but for a shorter duration as it is not permanent. Actually allergy means that you have redness in the area and if you wear for some time it cause some reactions in the local area and may also in the body. Do you have something like that? The symptoms are mostly related to TMJ, the reason may be that you can not bite on your teeth and you are now biting on Invisalign, and this can increase your bite where it normally was. The best in my opinion will be to consult your orthodontist if you can pause your treatment. Stop wearing Invisalign, rest your jaw for as long as you can like do not eat hard or crunchy or sticky food. Soft diet, no prolong talking, do not open wide too much especially yawning. Also, use over the counter pain killer for relief.

|