Q. I am having jaw pain after root canal treatment. Why?

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Jaw Pain or Root Canal Treatment? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I had a root canal done in one of my lower right teeth. It was done in one sitting with the help of a laser. Everything was fine for a week. Then, one day my right jaw started aching and I was not able to open the jaw more than half an inch. There wa mild pain below the ear and it increased while chewing.

My dentist says it is spasm and it has nothing to do with RCT (root canal treatment). I am taking Flexon MR and doing few muscle exercises keeping the jaw in movement.

• What is the solution?
  • How long will it take to heal?
  • I am worried will it become permanent?