Q. I am having jaw pain after root canal treatment. Why?

Dr. Honey Nandwani
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I had a root canal done in one of my lower right teeth. It was done in one sitting with the help of a laser. Everything was fine for a week. Then, one day my right jaw started aching and I was not able to open the jaw more than half an inch. There wa mild pain below the ear and it increased while chewing.

My dentist says it is spasm and it has nothing to do with RCT (root canal treatment). I am taking Flexon MR and doing few muscle exercises keeping the jaw in movement.

• What is the solution?
  • How long will it take to heal?
  • I am worried will it become permanent?
#

Yes, it can be due to muscle spasm but as it started after one week then it can also be due to infection in the root canal treated tooth.

So, first of all, the exact cause needs to be ruled out. If Flexon MR (Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, and Chlorzoxazone) and muscle exercises are not resolving the problem then an X-ray of the tooth should be done to check for any infection.

It can heal mostly within a week.

No, it cannot become permanent and both conditions - infection and muscle spasm are treatable.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|