Q. I am having jaw pain after root canal treatment. Why?

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Feb 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I had a root canal done in one of my lower right teeth. It was done in one sitting with the help of a laser. Everything was fine for a week. Then, one day my right jaw started aching and I was not able to open the jaw more than half an inch. There wa mild pain below the ear and it increased while chewing.

My dentist says it is spasm and it has nothing to do with RCT (root canal treatment). I am taking Flexon MR and doing few muscle exercises keeping the jaw in movement.

• What is the solution?
  • How long will it take to heal?
  • I am worried will it become permanent?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

Yes, it can be due to muscle spasm but as it started after one week then it can also be due to infection in the root canal treated tooth.

So, first of all, the exact cause needs to be ruled out. If Flexon MR (Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, and Chlorzoxazone) and muscle exercises are not resolving the problem then an X-ray of the tooth should be done to check for any infection.

It can heal mostly within a week.

No, it cannot become permanent and both conditions - infection and muscle spasm are treatable.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Is Sjogren's syndrome same as SLE?

Query: Hi doctor,I have got a form of lupus called Sjogren's syndrome but I want to know if it is the same as SLE lupus or not as some hospitals say it is and some say it is not and I am very confused.  Read Full >>

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sjogren's syndrome (SS) and SLE are two different forms of autoimmune inflammatory disorders which affect the joints, skin, glandular tissue. There are certain similarities between the two but generally, Sjogren's is characterized by decreased secretions from the lacrim...  Read Full

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full