Q. On removal of feeding tube the entire food was thrown out through the hole. Why does this happen?

Dr. Shivpal Saini
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am undergoing duodenal diverticulum surgery, and I was subjected to a feeding tube. On removal of the feeding tube, the entire food was thrown out through the hole. A stitch is done in the area, and slightly it is still leaking. I understand that in the normal case, the stomach heals on its own. Why does this happen? How long will it take to stop this leakage? What should be done for quick healing?

#

This is an unusual situation. Most of the time, it does not happen. But it is happening with you that food is coming out from the feeding jejunostomy site. It will heal by itself over 10 to 14 days duration. There is nothing to worry about it. We cannot do much for quick healing. It is time taking process.

I will advise you better if you provide me the date of surgery and the date of feeding tube removal.

I hope this will help.

Thank you very much doctor. The surgery was done on the 5th of last month. The tube was removed on the 7th of this month, and the stitches were on the next day. Doctor, could there be any specific reason for this. Should he walk sometime after eating to speed up the recovery?

#

Feeding tube site discharge is an unusual situation. But it can happen. There is nothing to worry about. It will heal with fibrosis by itself over 2 to 3 weeks time duration. Eat good food (high protein diet). Keep doing very light work (do not always remain in bed). For high protein, if you are a non-vegetarian, then you can take 4 to 5 eggs per day. If you are vegetarian, then you can take daal, paneer, or you can take protein powder (Ensure) 2 to 3 spoon in 1 glass of water 3 to 4 times a day.

It will help in fast healing.

Let me know if you want anything else.

I have another query, is it that in any patient, there would be a leakage after jejunostomy, or is it the case in this patient. I understand that they clean and bandage 2 to 3 times a day. How would we understand if the wound is healing?

#

First, the incidence of jejunostomy site leakage is very less, like 10%.

Second, with time output from the site will decrease with time. If the output is decreasing, less requirement of dressing or less soakage of dressing are signs that it is healing.

I still recommend giving time for atleast two weeks.

Keep the site clean.

|