What can be done to avoid irritation and rubbing of keloid on chest?

Q. Is there a way to cover keloid on chest to avoid rubbing and irritation?

Dr. G. S. S. Sandeep
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 27, 2023

I have had a keloid I guess at the center of my chest for the past year and a new one developed a few months back. I took treatment but was not effective. I used to take Isotretinoin capsules daily and apply Clobkare cream. One major problem I face with them is they rub against the shirt and irritate especially the new one. Is there a tape or something I can apply to them while exercising and going out because I also have hair in that area?

#

Keloids are a type of scar that itches or irritates when something touches it. Do not apply any tapes or plaster because if you try to remove the tape you will pluck your hair which in turn induces keloid formation. You can plan for intralesional Triamcinolone injection along with cryotherapy this will help in reducing keloid.

Is there something I can use there which will reduce friction with the clothes because it really irritates when I walk?

#

You can apply Calamine lotion whenever it irritates or you can try Melipox (Aloe vera, Oatmeal, etc.) spray if it is available at your place. You can spray as on required. You can apply Vaseline on the chest prior to gauze bandage. This will prevent hair follicles from plucking when you try to remove the bandage. Avoid hair follicle trauma.

|