Q. Is there a way to cover keloid on chest to avoid rubbing and irritation?

Answered by
Dr. Sandeep Golla
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Sep 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

Hi doctor,

I have a keloid I guess at the center of my chest from past one year and a new one developed since a few months back. I took treatment but was not effective. I used to take Isotretinoin capsules daily and apply Clobkare cream. One major problem I face with them is they rub against the shirt and irritate especially the new one. Is there a tape or something I can apply to them while exercising and going out because I also have hair on that area.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Keloids are a type of scars which itches or irritates when something touches it. Do not apply any tapes or plaster because if you try to remove the tape you will pluck your hair which in turn induce keloid formation. You can plan for intralesional Triamcinolone injection along with cryotherapy.this will help in reducing keloid.

Thank you doctor,

Is there something I can use there which will reduce friction with the clothes because it really irritates when I walk?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

You can apply Calamine lotion whenever it irritates or you can try Melipox (Aloe vera, Oatmeal, etc.) spray if it is available at your place. You can spray as on required. You can apply Vaseline on the chest prior to gauze bandage. This will prevent hair follicles from plucking when you try to remove the bandage. Avoid hair follicle trauma.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

How to get rid of vaginal odor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old and I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I have a drooping bladder and I cannot take this smell. My vagina stays dry and sex is painful and hurting. I have the sex drive of an 80-year-old instead of a person in their 20’s. Also, my husband’s semen interferes ...  Read Full »

Can I take steroid injection for a bald patch on the beard?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a bald patch on the beard for the past three weeks. I am suspecting alopecia. I have uploaded the photo. Please help me.  Read Full »

I have a dark bump like spot in front of my tragus. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a dark bump like spot in front of tragus. Ever since I have noticed this small bump it has got flattened and less puffy. I have some other spots too. I guess it is not a keloid. I went to a facialist and she stated it as not a pimple. I just need a clarification of what they are? W...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.