Keloid is otherwise known as a keloidal scar. Keloids are formed as thick outgrowths along with the scar tissue in the site of a healed wound. Keloids cause itchiness and pain during growth. Acne scars, burns, scratches, and surgical incision sites can have keloid growths. Corticosteroid shots, cryotherapy, and laser therapy help to remove keloids.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How to get rid of a raised incision scar on my nipple after a surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had surgery for my gynecomastia a few years back, and the results were satisfying. However, I have noticed that the incision scar on the right nipple has become slightly raised and prominent with time. Is this normal? How can I control and reverse it? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Wani Parag Subhodh

Answer: Hello,Welcome to went through your query and understood your concern.It seems you have a keloid. It is due to excessive fibrous tissue, which can happen to anyone. The cause is genetic, or you have a tendency for hypertrophy of the scar. When the scar is raised and involves the surroun...  Read Full »

Can scald burns lead to keloid formation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 15-year-old male. Two months ago, I suffered second and third-degree accidental burns to my leg from scalding hot water. Burns have healed but the skin remains discolored. What are the risks going forward? Can keloids be formed and what procedures can be done in the future to im...  Read Full »

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). There are more to second degree deep burns. Scald burns heal very efficiently. However, there is a little bit higher incidence of keloid formation. That explains your doubt....  Read Full »

Does microneedling cause keloids?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was a teenager, I got severe acne on my chest. I put 95% ethyl alcohol on them for months every day, thinking I would treat them. Instead, it left me with keloid scars all over my chest. Four years later, last week, I went to do microneedling on my face. It was pretty harsh, and I...  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Answer: Hi, Welcome to If you are genetically predisposed to get keloids over your body, you can get it after some trauma to your skin, for example, burns, dermabrasion, and even chemical peeling.  Read Full »

I have a keloid or brown scar that does not go away with different products. Can you recommend any product?

Query: Hello doctor,I have keloid scarring or brown scars. Is there any product you can recommend? I have tried different products with no success.  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. It looks like a keloid. You did not mention the place. Keloids are usually seen at the site of trauma and sometimes without it. When spontaneous, the most common site is the pre-sternal area over the chest. Intralesional steroid injection...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest some home remedies for the acnes in my chest and back.

Query: Hello doctor,I have had acne on my chest and back for several months. It does not become worse, and also it does not improve either. How do I get rid of it at home?Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Priya B. T

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). People in your age group are prone to getting acne as your oil glands, and sebaceous glands are active under hormonal influence. More than acne, I could see stretch marks...  Read Full »

Do I have a chance to clear the bumps on the earlobes and repierce it again?

Query: Hi doctor,I pierced my earlobes two years back. Now, there are two hard bumps formed inside my earlobes exactly where I have my piercing. Sometimes, it gets flared up and becomes bigger. Sometimes, I have some blood coming from it. It remains painful when I wear my earrings when I do not have a flar...  Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. If you are having inflammation and redness, then you can take oral antibiotics to subside your inflammation. Another possibility to rule out in this case is a keloid formation. It is an uncontrolled growth of scar formation. If you are sur...  Read Full »

Why is my wife not able to bend her knee after months of tibia fracture?

Query: Hi doctor,My wife fell down while going on the bike. She fell with her knees in the front direction. She got an injury on her knees, elbows, and palms. It has been three months now and it is not getting healed. An X-ray was taken and her X-ray revealed that she has a fracture in her hairline tibia. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your description and photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your wife has a keloid formation in the injured areas. Keloids appear larger than their usually formed scars. It often occurs in certain people. If you want to reduce it fo...  Read Full »

Can keloid develop on a cartilage ear piercing?

Query: Hi doctor, Do I need to consult a doctor for having a keloid on my cartilage due to over-piercing? Before few days, my ears got swollen by piercing them. It hurts a lot.   Read Full »

Dr. Bhadragiri Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to A keloid develops due to overpiercing of the cartilaginous area of the ear. It takes around two months to form in the pierced region and they are painless. You have developed swelling due to contact dermatitis and so your area is inflamed and tender. You can follow ...  Read Full »

How to prevent small pus-filled pimples from scarring?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had small pimples filled with white pus. These tend to develop into bigger keloids, which are hard and sometimes itchy. These are now making me feel very uncomfortable, and I would like any treatment to get rid of them. Some are small, some are large, as in the pictures. Please...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It is a keloidal scar due to the overgrowth of granulation tissue, collagen at the healed skin injury site. Keloids are an excessive fibroblastic response to mechanical and or chemical injury. Genetic predisposition/keloidal tendency to develop keloid may be contribu...  Read Full »

Why does my husband have a scar on his chest?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has got a scar on his chest following a pimple. Now, I feel that the size of the scar has become bigger than it was before. It is not painful, but he feels itchy sometimes. He has the scar for around three years now. He has a family history of keloid in his maternal grandmother...  Read Full »

Dr. Danej Mangesh Baliram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It seems to be keloid especially if it is associated with pain, itching or increased sensations. Treatment is mainly comprised of local injection of steroid alone, namely Triamcinolone and in resistant cases along with 5-Fluorouracil. They are repeated on a monthly basis ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.