Ketone

Can ketosis cause abdominal pain with green stools?

Query: Male, 21, 5'7, 130lbs Hello, I went to the urgent care yesterday because I've been feeling morning sickness for a while and what I figured out there is the doctor said from viewing my urine that my body is in ketosis and I'm severely dehydrated. He had me fast the rest of the day and this morning I...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis

Answer: Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m very sorry to learn about what you have to go through. I will try my very best to help you. Based on your height and weight you are by no means underweight, your BMI is completely normal. Of course it can be that you suffer from malnutrition due to some ...  Read Full »

Why is my ketone value marked in red?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently looking at my urinalysis results. There is something that I am trying to understand. My ketone is 40 mg/dL and marked with a red square flag. What does this mean? Should I be worried or concerned about this? When this test was performed they told me that everything was nor...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ketones can be positive under certain conditions. The most important ones are starvation for long hours, hyperglycemia (extremely high blood sugar) and alcoholism (too much consumption). What I understand is that all the values are in normal range and only ketones ...  Read Full »

Can increased levels of ketones affect baby during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 weeks pregnant. I have gestational diabetes since 24 weeks. I did not have much apetite during whole pregnancy due to my stomach problems and I did not put on weight too much. Now it is better. I was told to check my ketones since 25 week. And I did. There was always +/- in the m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me start by assuring you that your baby is absolutely fine and will not have any problems in future life. Let me tell you how. Usually, mother always has a poor appetite and poor food intake during the first half of pregnancy. This is due to the hormones of pregnanc...  Read Full »

Is the presence of ketones in urine a sign of kidney damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 5 feet and 5 inches, 112 lbs and eat a normal diet. I recently had a urine test with trace ketones, although negative for glucose. My test showed cloudy clarity and presence of crystals. All the other values on the urine test were normal. I also had normal blood tests. My doctor is...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The body generally uses glucose as its source of energy. When it uses fat as a source of energy, ketones are formed. It is a common finding in diabetes, called as diabetic ketoacidosis. It can also occur during starvation when glucose is not available as an energy sou...  Read Full »

How can ketone level be decreased in a diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetes patient. My sugar level in fasting is above 350 and I checked ketone in urine, it was found to be 4+. My height is 170 cm approximately and weight check found 62 kg. What can I do for ketone?  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ketones usually develop more often in T1 diabetes. Especially when there is no adequate insulin and glucose levels are higher than 300 to 350 mg. It is necessary to take adequate water to eliminate those through urine. Avoid exercise when ketones are present. Try and...  Read Full »

Could you let me know the seriousness of my dad's diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached the blood reports. And, with that it was diagnosed as diabetes. Please share your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which show a poor glycemic control. Are you, the patient? Or are these readings of a naive or a new patient? Is the patient already on medication? If yes, then on what medication?...  Read Full »