Q. Could you let me know the seriousness of my dad's diabetes?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have attached the blood reports. And, with that it was diagnosed as diabetes. Please share your opinion.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• I have gone through the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which show a poor glycemic control.
  • Are you, the patient? Or are these readings of a naive or a new patient?
  • Is the patient already on medication? If yes, then on what medication? What is the recent HbA1c report?
  • Is the patient on Insulin? If not, then go for the above test HbA1c, which depicts the fluctuation of blood sugars in the body over a period of three to four months.
  • Diabetes is a multifactorial and a lifestyle disease.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The patient is my dad. He has diabetes and on medication. Could you let me know the seriousness of the condition?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• From the reports posted, urine shows ketones positive, which means he has diabetic ketoacidosis.
  • Fluid replacement, intravenous Insulin supplementation and careful monitoring of potassium levels remain the essential steps in management.
  • He needs admission and careful management. The condition is manageable, but need intensive monitoring and treatment. Diabetic ketoacidosis is reversible.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

My HbA1c level was 7.5 last month. Should I continue Gemer 1 tablet?

Query: Hi doctor, Last month, my HbA1C was 7.5. I was advised to take Gemer 1 tablet before breakfast for 30 days. My LDL cholesterol is 119 mg/dL, HDL is 40mg/dL and triglycerides 161 mg/dL. My age is 49. Should I continue Gemer 1 along with other medicines? Kindly suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Talal Hussain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The HbA1C level of above 7 is a confirmatory diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. So, now you are a diabetic and should receive full diabetic management ranging from diet modification, exercise and medication. As far as tablet Gemer 1 mg (Glimepiride) is concerned, I suggest ...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article