Q. Is there any way to reduce ketone levels in a diabetic patient?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
Published on Mar 30, 2019

I am a diabetes patient. My sugar level in fasting is above 350 and I checked ketone in urine, it was found to be 4+. My height is 170 cm approximately and weight check found 62 kg. What can I do for ketone?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

Ketones usually develop more often in T1 diabetes. Especially when there is no adequate insulin and glucose levels are higher than 300 to 350 mg. It is necessary to take adequate water to eliminate those through urine. Avoid exercise when ketones are present. Try and maintain closer to normal glucose levels. Check glucose levels at home more often (every 3 to 4 hours).

There is no mention of what is the treatment with the dosage of various drugs, PP glucose level, and HbA1c %. You have to bring glucose in better control to prevent ketones developing. If proper care is not taken, there can be a further complication of developing diabetic ketoacidosis, a medical emergency. If you have any questions please do come back. Plus it is necessary to look at your current treatment (drugs and dosage), diet pattern and extent of daily exercises.

Will diabetes during pregnancy affect the baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 21 years old with type 1 diabetes. When she was 35 weeks pregnant, she had a cesarean section delivery. The baby's heartbeat stopped and they could not get it started. The doctors are blaming it to be due to diabetes. They said that the baby's blood acid was 25, which is five...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Diabetes is a big problem and so, the pregnancy during diabetes is labeled as high risk pregnancy. It is very uncertain to know what side effect might occur.¬†However, the side effects can vary from person to person. It is very difficult to commen...  Read Full

Diabetes - Simple Ways to Control Blood Sugar Level

Article Overview: Diabetes is spreading very fast. This article will provide an overview about how people can control their blood sugar level after adopting a healthy lifestyle. Read Article

Dr. Alka
Diabetologist

Diabetes is affecting millions of lives these days. It is a metabolic disorder in which the blood sugar of the body is in a higher range than normal. These days it is spreading very fast due to unhealthy lifestyle of people and poor eating habits. The initial symptoms of diabetes include excessive t...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now