Q. Do ketones in urine mean kidney damage?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ketone or Diabetes? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 5 feet and 5 inches, 112 lbs and eat a normal diet. I recently had a urine test with trace ketones, although negative for glucose. My test showed cloudy clarity and presence of crystals. All the other values on the urine test were normal. I also had normal blood tests. My doctor is referring me to a nephrologist. Do you think my doctor suspects a kidney disease? I researched ketones and what it means for kidney function. The more I read, the more confusing all this becomes. Thank you for any information as I wait to see a nephrologist.