Q. Do ketones in urine mean kidney damage?

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya
Published on Aug 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

I am 5 feet and 5 inches, 112 lbs and eat a normal diet. I recently had a urine test with trace ketones, although negative for glucose. My test showed cloudy clarity and presence of crystals. All the other values on the urine test were normal. I also had normal blood tests. My doctor is referring me to a nephrologist. Do you think my doctor suspects a kidney disease? I researched ketones and what it means for kidney function. The more I read, the more confusing all this becomes. Thank you for any information as I wait to see a nephrologist.

#

• The body generally uses glucose as its source of energy. When it uses fat as a source of energy, ketones are formed. It is a common finding in diabetes, called as diabetic ketoacidosis.
  • It can also occur during starvation when glucose is not available as an energy source. So, if you are on a diet, that may be the cause.
  • About crystals, are you on any drugs or sulfa medications?
  • Do you have a burning sensation during urination?

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Thanks for your reply. I am not on any drugs, nor am I having any burning or pain when urinating. My doctor has ruled out diabetes because of no glucose in the urine and normal blood glucose numbers. So, what could be the reason for ketones in urine? I had fasted for my blood test, but my doctor did not seem to think that was the reason for the presence of the ketones. My main question is, is it necessary to see a nephrologist based on my urine reports?

#

• If the urine sample was stored for a long time after the collection, it is one of the causes of a cloudiness.
  • If you are of a thin build, even a mild fasting can cause trace ketones.
  • I suggest you repeat the urine routine test and send me the reports.

Do ketones in urine mean kidney damage? Do you have any major concerns as a nephrologist based on my urine analysis?

#

• No, There is nothing much to worry about as long as it is in traces.
  • Regarding a cloudy urine, please consider a urine culture after a routine urine test.

Thank you so much.

What could be causing this symptom of cloudy urine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 32 year old female with no past urologic complaints. Starting three months ago, I had some episodes of cloudy urine and I got a urinalysis and had 1 plus leukocyte esterase and occasional WBC and RBC. Urine culture came back with 100,000 colonies of Proteus. I took five...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now