Q. My son has a complex cyst in his kidney. Should I be worried?

Dr. Choudhary Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2021

My son is 12 years old. Last week we found out that he has a complex cyst in his kidney. I am so worried and cannot wait until I see a urologist next week. So, I want to show you the ultrasound images and get your opinion on it. The GP said that he has a complex cyst and this scares me even more. Should I be worried about this cyst?

#

• According to the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you sent, it looks like a hilar lesion, but it is still not causing any pressure effects.
  • I would need further investigations as follows.
  1. CT scan of the abdomen and KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder) region with IV (intravenous) and oral contrast.
  2. Renal angiogram.
  • If on CT scan this turns out to be a nonsuspicious cyst, then we can just observe him.
  • To comment anything more than this will be premature without CT images. There are various causes for this cyst, which will be more clear after the CT results.
  • But whatever it turns out to be, it can be managed. So, do not get over concerned and let your son do the regular activity. See your urologist, and please do share the CT images.

Revert with more information to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I am so worried, and cannot sleep. Please take a look at his ultrasound images and tell me what you think.

#

• As I have already mentioned, this looks like a hilar or central cyst and at this stage. And you need to do a CT scan as to characterize it further.
  • Any comment more than this may create more confusion in your mind.
  • Weeks delay in seeing your urologist is not going to have any harmful effect as this cyst. So, kindly just relax and wait for the appointment.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|