Common "Kidney Tests" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Kidney Tests

Tests done to know if your kidneys are functioning properly are urinalysis, serum creatinine test, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and estimated GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate). These test usually require a 24-hour urine sample or a blood test.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I got a groin injury, pain in the right groin area, and a transplanted kidney. Kindly review my MRI reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I got a groin injury six months back, and I have pain in the right groin area, particularly above the iliac crest, referred to towards the right hand. I got an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) done, which shows edema in the iliopsoas muscle. No avascular necrosis is seen in the femoral...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to According to the reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) attached, you have a right iliac transplanted kidney, and there can be a temporary relationship between the groin pain and the transplantation. What was the mechanism of injury? Also, it wo...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for mild joint pain and back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently got my routine blood test done. I would like to consult a good doctor regarding the imbalances mentioned. Attached is the report. I have a thyroid disorder and I take Thyronorm 50 mcg every day and 75 mcg on Sunday. I recently recovered from viral flu and cold. I have mild j...  Read Full »

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Answer: Hello,Welcome to have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the major problem I notice is a vitamin D deficiency which needs intervention in the form of Vitamin D supplementation. It is the cause of your joint pain and aches. Your kidney functio...  Read Full »

Is kidney swelling due to calculus normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have kidney stones in my right kidney, and there are totally three stones in my kidney 0.19 inch, 0.14 inch, 0.12 inch, and mild right hydroureteronephrosis is seen due to calculus in the right distal urethra measuring 0.13 x 0.09 inch located just above the vesicoureteric junction. Kin...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for consulting. A 24-year-old male with right renal stones and distal ureteric stone causing a mild obstruction. The pain, if any, is caused due to blockage to the kidney by the ureteric stone. A kidney function test (serum creatinine level) is required to check on...  Read Full »

How to treat and prevent recurrent urinary tract infections?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner repeatedly got UTIs over the past two years, and it appears to be unique to our relationship. She is largely immune to the antibiotics prescribed, and on a couple of occasions, has progressed to severe kidney infections. I wonder if it could be something with my body and if...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to UTI (urinary tract infection) is very common in females, especially in an active sexual relationship. If she had any blood or urine tests and ultrasound abdomen reports, please send me. If it is not done, kindly get an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis to rule out any path...  Read Full »

What could be the cause of pain in pubic area with protein in urine?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the pubic area. Urine test revealed protein in the urine. But there is no pain while urinating but I get pain only when I touch the area. I am just getting sick and wondering what it might be?  Read Full »

Dr. Rathee Rahul

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Well, the presence of proteins in urine is not a good sign. Let me explain to you in simple words that why it is not a good sign. The whole of the blood in our body flows through both the kidneys in our body and kidney functions as a filter, the harmful substances, and...  Read Full »

Kindly look at the kidney test reports and explain the treatment.

Query: Hi doctor,My nephew is having left kidney size of 90 x 36 mm (moderate-gross dilatation PCs is seen (AP diameter of pelvis 23 mm) cortical thickness 5 mm and his right kidney is 70 x 28 mm. Impression: Moderate-gross LT hydronephrosis (left side hydronephrosis with possible PUJ obstruction). Age of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to There is narrowing of left kidney tube called PUJ obstruction (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He needs to undergo DTPA renogram to know extent of kidney function and degree of obstruction. If kidney is functioning fairly and if an obstruction is confirme...  Read Full »

I had done blood work recently, and my eGFR is down. What could be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently I had done with my blood work and some of the numbers were off. My eGFR is down to 63, and my liver function tests were elevated. The whole situation is giving me crippling anxiety and I am not sure what to do about it. I have not had blood work done before this test for a long, ...  Read Full »

Dr. M Sivalingam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The reports are not alarming. Your blood creatinine level is slightly high as it reflects your higher muscle mass as you are fairly heavy, with a body weight of about 144 kilograms. Creatinine level in the blood reflects muscle mass, so people who are overweight tend ...  Read Full »

I have only one kidney by birth. Can I live a normal life?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I came to know that I got unilateral renal agenesis. My left kidney is absent. Basically, I am a physique model and use to do bodybuilding. I use to take lots of supplements. Also, I was on anabolic cycle for a few months as well. Being with unilateral kidney, will these supplem...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to We are here to help you. Congenital renal agenesis is not as such any disease. However, since you have a single functioning kidney, you should be cautious before taking high protein diet, medicines and painkillers. You should get a kidney function test and a urine for m...  Read Full »

I have a scar in my kidney. Will my problem deteriorate if not monitored?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a scar in my kidney. My creatinine level was reported 1.13 to 1.43 on routine examination. I underwent renal scan, ultrasound and other tests. My nephrologist says that the infection in kidney is the old one and only need monitoring. He prescribed me Reno car...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to We are here to help you. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, your doctor is right. It seems that you are having an old scar causing this rise in serum creatinine. In such case, I would also recommend the same...  Read Full »

I got a UTI two years back. Do I need to check my kidney function every 15 days?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about kidney function. I had a urinary tract infection about two years ago. From that period, I am doing blood tests to evaluate the kidney function every 15 days. My urine test is always within normal range, and no protein or glucose has been found. My blood creatini...  Read Full »

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The frequency with which follow-up is required is based upon the disease you are suffering from. From the statement that you had a urinary tract infection two years ago, I am not able to come to any conclusion regarding the exact disease. Yes, there are some dangerous kid...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.