Q. I got a UTI two years back. Do I need to check my kidney function every 15 days?

Dr. Raja Ramesh
Published on May 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a question about kidney function. I had a urinary tract infection about two years ago. From that period, I am doing blood tests to evaluate the kidney function every 15 days. My urine test is always within normal range, and no protein or glucose has been found. My blood creatinine and urea are also within the normal range. Creatinine goes from 70 to 88, and urea is always steady at 4 to 5. The eGFR last time was 130 using creatinine and cystatin from the blood. My question is, can kidney function degrade so fast? Do I need to check it so often? The doctor that suggested to do checks on a regular basis is not a specialist in urology. He just told me that kidney diseases do not show symptoms until it is too late. I am not diabetic, my blood pressure is normal, and no one in my family has any issues with kidneys. How often should I check my kidney function? Thank you very much.

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Andrology Urology
#

• The frequency with which follow-up is required is based upon the disease you are suffering from. From the statement that you had a urinary tract infection two years ago, I am not able to come to any conclusion regarding the exact disease.
  • Yes, there are some dangerous kidney diseases, some of which are a sequel to a prior infection, that need intensive monitoring. But, even for that, every 15 days is too frequent.
  • Since its been two years now, with all reports being normal, we can reduce the intensity of follow-up required. This being said, I would seriously suggest a follow-up with a urologist, with your previous case reports, regarding further management.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thanks for your answer. I do not think that I am suffering from any disease. I just had a urinary tract infection, and there was some increase of leukocytes in the urine, so the doctor said that it is a regular UTI. Everything else was fine, and that it is a good thing to check the kidney function, to be sure there was no damage. Even then my urea and creatinine were in the normal range. Maybe it was not kidney related. Is once a month good for a checkup? And can you tell me what other tests except for urea, creatinine, and regular urine check, should I do? After that UTI, I did a 24-hour urine check and creatinine clearance, and all were within normal range. My eGFR from that test was 160. So can kidney function degrade fast, and is it necessary to do monthly checks if all reports are within normal range?

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Andrology Urology
#

• Checking renal function every month may not be necessary if all are normal at a time when there is no infection.
  • There are certain acute conditions when kidney function deteriorates in a matter of few days. But from your history, I am not sure whether you are suffering from any such condition.
  • I would still suggest you consult a nearby urologist, as he can examine and provide you with the best options regarding further management.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

What diet can be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male, 68 years old, diabetic, with chronic kidney disease, and creatinine level 5.96. What diet should be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shazli Naseer
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reviewing the laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the patient has already developed significant damage, creatinine is too high and has already secondary hyperparathyroidism. Type 2 diabetes with renal complication. Dialysis is unavoidabl...  Read Full

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong
Urologist

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

I am thinking to change my medicine for diabetes. What can I take instead of Sitaglu Met?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 years old, and my weight is 97 kilograms. I am a diabetic patient, and my A1C test showed a result of 9 %. I am taking Sitaglu Met 500 mg. It has not helped me. When I take it, within five minutes, my sugar level gets increased to 250 mg/dL and comes down again to 180 mg/dL or 19...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shazli Naseer
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please verify the dose of Sitaglu Met. It is a combination medication. It has two medicines Sitagliptin and Metformin. Please mention whether you take 50 mg/500 mg or 50 mg/1000 mg dose. Please send a picture of it. Medication alone cannot control diabetes. Determining ...  Read Full