Q. How to relieve knee pain due to sudden jerk while playing football?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2022 and last reviewed on: May 16, 2022

Yesterday while playing football, my right knee twisted outwards due to a sudden jerk. As a result, I have pain in the inner side of my right knee (MCL region). I have pain and difficulty in walking or making movements. But my knee is fully mobile and can function properly if I move slowly. What should I do? So far, I have used a Diclofenac Diethylamine spray and ice packs. I heard no pop sound from my knee. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

The knee may be fine, and there is only a grade 1 or 2 strain of the medial collateral ligament (MCL).

If you do not have knee joint swelling, the knee does not buckle or give way, and you feel confident that the knee is strong enough, you can wait a few days. I suggest you the following-

1. You can apply ice packs.

2. You must give rest to the knee.

3. You can take anti-inflammatory tablets.

If everything is fine, you can start football training in a week to 10 days. However, if you get bruising and the knee feels unstable, you need to consult a doctor and perhaps an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).

|