Q. I have symptoms of foot drop. Will previous multi-ligament knee injury be the cause?

Dr. Chintan
Published on Nov 16, 2019

I have a chronic onset of symptoms of foot drop, diagnosed by podiatrist last month. I would like to know if this could be caused by the original knee injury, which was diagnosed as a severe multi-ligament knee injury. Is it possible for a severe multi-ligament knee injury, with a complete tear of the ACL, to cause "foot drop" to develop years later? I am currently taking Naproxen.

Actually my original knee injury happened in 1969 and got repaired in 1980. Knee remained unstable and worn a brace since 1981. I have consulted many orthopedic surgeons, who all state that repair of the ACL is not possible.

Dr. Chintan

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I understand that the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) surgery was done in 1980 whereas the injury was in 1969. It must be ACL reconstruction surgery or some other augmentation surgery. The original ligament cannot be repaired after 11 years. It will be beneficial to know about the procedure performed which can suggest what was done.

In some cases foot drop may present after the procedure but it may be immediately or within the first few week or a month. It is unlikely to get recent onset foot drop due to the surgery performed in 1980. There might be some other cause of foot drop if it is recent.

Do you think that my doctor's suggestion is right regarding my DVT and knee injury?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I met with an accident and the doctor diagnosed my knee with complete ACL tear and partial MCL injury. So, I started using a knee brace. Two days later, I took a long duration flight without taking any medication of thrombosis. However, I started taking Ibuprofen tablets (twice ...  Read Full »

There is a popping sensation while bending knee after a fall. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old male. I was playing football on Monday and my left foot slipped, naturally I tried to stop myself from falling but my weight went down on my left knee and it bent backward. I did not fall on the ground, I was still standing but it was sore for a few minutes then it...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now