Q. It hurts to walk or bend the knee due to a greenish scab after a knee injury. What to do?

Dr. Keerthi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2021

I am a 22-year-old female with a weight of 58 kilograms and a height of five feet nine inches. I scraped my knee at night before four days and I left it unclean until the next morning. Every day, I have new symptoms over it. It hurts me a lot while walking and bending the knee. It formed a greenish swab and yellowish pus comes out. I feel warmer than usual. Today I recleaned the scrape and used Neosporin over it. I covered it with gauze at night to get healed. Is it fine? I am using Neosporin with gauze every day.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your infection seems to be spreading. Along with Neosporin, you can take oral antibiotics like Cefuroxime twice a day for five days. Please mention whether you have any symptoms of fever. If yes, then the infection might have spread to the knee joint. You have a bit of swelling. Have a dressing with Betadine and then apply Neosporin powder and you can use gauze over it. Since it is present for more than three days with pus coming out, you can start taking oral antibiotics immediately. If you have a fever, consult a doctor immediately to decrease the chance of the infection spreading to the joints.

You can have septic arthritis with superficial wound infection.

You can take tablet Cefuroxime twice daily for five days, tablet Metronidazole 500 mg thrice daily for five days, tablet Serratiopeptidase thrice daily for three days, and tablet Paracetamol for three days.

|