Q. I have swelling in knee after four months of ACL meniscus surgery. Why?

Dr. Lokesh

I had an ACL meniscus repair surgery four months ago. I still have some swelling in my knee and still feel weakness in my leg. Is that normal? Can I run now? What to do?

Do you have a question on Acl Surgery or Knee Swelling?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Lokesh

MBBS., D.ORTHO., DNB ORTHO., FELLOWSHIP-JOINT REPLACEMENT SURGERY., MNAMS
Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery

The knee swelling can even persist till six months after surgery, the more physiotherapy you do and the earlier you achieve full range of movements of the knee, the better it is and faster the swelling will reduce. Weakness can be overcome by physiotherapy again to strengthen your quadriceps and hamstring muscles. Running will depend on your physical follow up with your doctor and also will depend on your physio. Ideally, by now you should have started running but your physio and doctor will decide that as every case is different.

ACL post-surgery rehabilitation.

When can I walk and run normally after ACL reconstruction surgery?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 25. I have gone through ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair surgery on left leg almost three months before. Now, on post-op rehabilitation. The doctor has suggested me to walk slowly. Currently, doing squats and weight exercises. I just wanted to know still how much time it wi...  Read Full »
Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. In my opinion, it will take another 6 to 8 weeks for you to start running. I hope you got your movement range completely in your joint. Now, do your rehabilitation and weight training properly as advised. You can start walking normally. The pain ...  Read Full »

What is the exact cause for my knee pain and swelling?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. My height is 5'4" and my weight is 64 kg. I am suffering from left knee pain with some swelling and stiffness for the past three years. I am taking Sazo 2000 and OXC 200 for two months, but had no relief. I have ANA 48.5 and CRP 7.9. My MRI showed no tears, but...  Read Full »
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. Kindly tell me more details about your problem. Since when is the pain in the left knee present? Do you have any other joint pain like wrist or elbow? Your ANA (antinuclear antibody) report is positive. Kindly upload the report ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now