Q. Is it safe for a 70-year-old patient to undergo laparoscopic surgery for a liver cyst?

Dr. Vasavada Bhavin Bhupendra

My father is 70 years old and has been suffering from a liver cyst for three years, as shown in the ultrasound scan. He is unable to digest anything and is suffering from heartburn continuously. His motions are irregular. Is it alright if my father undergoes laparoscopic surgery at 70?

#

Your father can undergo surgery only after the pre-operative tests and evaluation. However, most liver cysts do not require any treatment, and surgery is needed only if the patient has pain. Heartburn and digestive problems do not occur with liver cysts. I suggest you consult your surgeon regarding that.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

My father feels that his stomach is full every time he eats and has been unable to pass stools for the past three days.

#

Those symptoms are mostly due to irritable bowel syndrome. However, a proper physical examination is necessary.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

He experiences vomiting, nausea, indigestion, and heartburn. He is unable to pass stools and has been taking Aristozyme and Dhuphalac syrups for the past three years.

#

I need to meet him personally, but your surgeon must have evaluated him properly. Therefore, I suggest you discuss the pros and cons of surgery with your surgeon.

|