Q. What effect does removing one fallopian tube have on fertility and periods?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I had my left fallopian tube removed due to an ectopic pregnancy. How could I get pregnant if the egg gets released from my left ovary? It does not have a tube to travel and fuse with the sperm.

My second question is, how much will I bleed during menstruation as I do not have a fallopian tube on the left side?

Thanks.

#

I understand your concern.

Fallopian tubes are mobile and active parts of your reproductive tract. When one tube is absent, the other can move over to the opposite ovary and pick up an available egg. It is said that fertility could be slightly reduced, but pregnancy is possible.

The answer to your second question is that menstruation occurs due to the shedding of the uterine lining, which grows throughout your menstrual cycle and then sheds at the time of menstruation. This growth depends on the hormone present in our blood. Since fallopian tubes perform no function in menstruation, you will not have any difference in your periods.

I hope this was useful.

|