Q. Both my HDL and LDL cholesterol are below normal. What should I do?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2021

I am a 6 feet tall male, who is 31 years old, and I weigh 88 kg. I recently got a lipid profile done, and the report showed my HDL to be 23 mg/dL and LDL to be 80 mg/dL. I feel a slight left-sided chest pain sometimes. I gained 20 kg in the last two years. I do not drink or smoke. What should I do now?

#

• Your lipid profile is good, except your HDL (high-density lipoprotein) and LDL (low-density lipoprotein) are low. Low LDL is good, so do not worry. As you gained 20 kg in the last two years and for mild chest pains, I suggest you get the following tests done:
  1. Free T4, T3, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test.
  2. ECG (electrocardiogram).
  3. TMT (treadmill test).
  • A cardiac problem is unlikely, but just to be sure, please get these tests done. Until then, I suggest you try taking capsule Pan It (Pantoprazole and Itopride), one tablet before breakfast for four weeks.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for replying. What should be my diet for increasing HDL?

#

The diet to increase HDL is as follows:

1. Use olive oil in salad, sauce, and food when cooked. Sprinkle chopped olive in salads and soup.
  2. You can also use peanut and canola oil. Avoid saturated fat like ghee, butter, animal and dairy fat.
  3. Increase high-fiber fruits like apple, pear, avocado, etc.
  4. Drink cranberry juice.
  5. Add beans, legumes, whole grain bran, cereals, brown or wild rice, oat, etc.
  6. Take nuts like almonds, peanuts, etc.
  7. Eat fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, etc., as it contains omega-3 fatty acids.
  8. Try to consume soy-based products.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Is it anything serious or it is curable after some time??
# Hi Rohit, well come to icliniq
ur HDL is low.U try to increase it by regular walking for 30 min daily
Olive oil on salad dressing.Use it in low temperature.
Beans and legumes.
Apple,Pears, Fruits with lots of fibre.
Fatty fish contain omega-3-fatty acids like sardines,salmon,tuna.
Flax seed oil.
Almond,peanuts, Avocado,soy based products.
Take Rablet IT-1 once daily before breakfast for 2 months.
U can do Upper GI endoscopy to rule out GERD

|